Great news for 07 V8 ST Owners

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Never figured so much debate!

As I said in the 2nd post in this thread, I'm taking mine in. I called the Dealer and made an appointment for tomorrow, 6/20. At first, the service guy (on the phone) said I might be charged ($), I explained that my ST was delivered 6-30-06, has not been in for anything, but I have had the fast idle (sometimes very fast) and understood this should fix the problem. IIn the past, 've even told my wife that the fast cold idle was the way it was supposed to be. Anyway, he agreed and understood, then said it was covered. I may have experienced the downshifting issue, we'll see if there's a noticeable change.

They will also take a look at my driver's side passenger window moulding, which appears to be shortening in length, for possible replacement. My Trac was built in May, 06.

Lil Red; I still say thanks.;)

Guys,TJR and I aren't trying to make it into a "debate". We're just stating the fact that, even though this is great information (which it is and Kudoes to LIL Red), the dealer isn't liable to do the TSB "no charge" or even do it at all. If they will, great, I'm happy for ya, but we all know how great the majority of the "dealers" are, and some may take thier vehicles in for this TSB and end up getting charged for it. That's all.;)

Ken, Dale, Cubber, Gavin, Gary, and everyone else that have found this information useful, you guys are all very welcome. Gavin, it sounds like you are as pleased with the end results as I was and i'm glad it all worked out. I'm just trying to do my part in contributing to this wonderful Sport Trac community where so many others have already made huge contributions.

TJR, SST and Stonemiser, I sincerely appreciate and respect you guys point of view and I appreciate the value you have brought in explaining Ford's policy in regards to TSBs. I apologize if I came across a little brash earlier today, but i'm just one of those that try to look out for the consumer, especially when I don't agree with a company's policy. Thank you guys again for explaining Fords perspective in this healthy discussion.

At the end of the day, I want us all to have a Sport Trac that we enjoy and don't regret spending our hard earned money on.

PS: If you own an 07 V8 and don't have Todd Z's modded throttle body, you honestly don't know what you're missing. I've never met Todd Z, but I love it when I purchase a product that meets and/or exceeds my expectations and this one definitely did that.:cool:

You guys take care!

Edit: I initially left someone off...corrected

Last edited by a moderator:
Red;

At the Dealer now, we'll see about improvement. As I said, high cold idle was a "problem" as well as "slight" downshift rear end kick. I'll post when complete and had some driving. As you can see, my 07 ST was an early production one, cause I couldn't wait any longer to buy, so I likely need some firmware upgrades. Thanks again.

Lil Red, no issue here. I share my POV (point of view) all the time. This case, however, I wasn't sharing a POV...but merely stating the cold hard facts.

The reason a debate insued is because of the emotion of having a defective vehicle (been there). I was also trying to encourage people NOT to get emotional and confrontational. If your ST isn't showing these issues, then count your blessings and don't look for problems (with the ST or the service depts).

I, like Stone, have (in my case had) an ST that had the cold weather alternator whine. I could reproduce it. The dealer was able to reproduce it. They wouldn't fix it either...they said it is an annoyance and goes away when the vehicle warms up. Was I ticked? Yup. But I was actually MORE ticked because I knew about the TSB and they wouldn't do the work. In my case, and especially in the case where people aren't having issues with the ST I truly believe that ignorance of the TSBs is bliss.

TJR

Lil Red, Thank you...

Here is a Funny TSB that was posted years back...

Make: FORD TRUCK Model: EXPLORER SPORT TRAC Year: 2001-2005

Service Bulletin Number: 00M12 Bulletin Sequence Number: 167 Date of Bulletin: 12/00

NHTSA Item Number: SB616816

Component: CUSTOMER

Summary:

CUSTOMER'S THAT COME EQUIPPED WITH THE "TO MUCH KNOWLEDGE" OPTION THAT WAS INSTALLED BY READING TOO MUCH INTO THE MESSAGE BOARDS AT A SITE CALLED MYSPORTTRAC.COM. THESE CUSTOMERS MAY SHOW INTERMITTENT SIGNS OF BEING OVERLY ANAL RETENTIVE IN REGARDS TO THEIR VEHICLES.

Symptoms:

CONSTANTLY PAYING WEEKLY VISITS TO THE DEALERSHIPS AND COMPLAINING ABOUT UNUSUAL NOISES INSIDE THEIR SPORT TRACS. THESE NOISES VARY WIDELY, EVERYTHING FROM A WOODPECKER SOUND WHILE DRIVING IN REVERSE AT 40MPH AND OVER, TO A LOW ELEPHANT SOUNDING GROAN WHEN OPENING THEIR GLOVE BOX WHILE THE BACK WINDOW IS DOWN AND TURNING RIGHT INTO A STEEP DRIVEWAY.

Repair Procedures:

STRAP CUSTOMER TO A VEHICLE LIFT AND RAISE THEM UP APPROX. 4.5', TAKE A GREASE GUN AND LOAD IT WITH THE NEW FORD #78462 LUBE. INSERT THE GREASE GUN INTO THE CUSTOMER'S OVERLY TIGHT ANAL OPENING AND SQUEEZE APPROX. 18OZ OF LUBE INTO OPENING. THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD WORK WELL FOR LOOSENING THE CUSTOMER UP A BIT.

HOWEVER IF THIS REPAIR PROCEDURE FAILS THEN THE ONLY OTHER AVAILABLE PROCEDURE IS TO CONTACT A MR.RICHARD STERN AT "[email protected]" AND REQUEST HIM TO REMOVE THE CUSTOMER'S ACCESS PRIVILEGES TO THE MYSPORTTRAC.COM SITE

How about pulling Fuse #7 under the hood. That will cut the power to the PCM and yet allow you to keep your radio settings, your keyless entry settings etc. Just a thought..:rolleyes:

Thanks mdm, wish I had thought about that before I did mine. Now I have to go back and "try" to reset all of my equalizer settings on my AVIC-Z1 to where they were before i discoed the battery.

I'll edit the original post with the fuse info.

That is OK Lil Red, I have had to reset the PCM module a lot of times and found this out once by accident while on the road.

Re-flashed. D.A. Dealer took 2 1/2 hrs. to do it, really lame. Last time at that Dealership. Long story, but I lost my "connection" there. Anyway, ST seems fine, update later.

I'm going to take mine back in. Almost a year and they still haven't solved the hard shifts. And for those that want preventative maintance don't forget to schedule your colonoscopy.

Major improvement in shifting pattern for me. I like it. Will let you know on the cold start later. Couldn't give a darn about the mileage display. Thanks Red, you're an ACE!

Liberty Ford in Randallstown, MD just told me that they would need to keep the vehicle and verify that those conditions exist, then get Ford's approval, before they can do anything. They said nothing about warranty or not. I told them I'd take it to another dealer that would do it because obviously they do not want to do the work.

Len Stoler Ford in Owings Mills, MD, which I had problems with regarding a TSB on my Gen 1 ST, said that they would take care of me. I was shocked. They said they obviously can't recreate symptoms like MPG display problems. The other dealer wanted to verify all symptoms on the TSB. I'm on appt for Tuesday, first thing. Here's a prime example of good service mgr vs. bad service mgr. Will report back on Tuesday.

Pat;

Customer Service .....

Now where will you go first when looking for your next F-L-M ???

This flash is cheap, very well spent money for a Dealer. Looks like Stoler Ford stole another customer!

Well, we'll see if they actually follow through with this on Tuesday. Last time I took it there, was for a TSB on my Gen 1 ST. They kept it for 3 days and never did the work. I swore I'd never go back, but that was 5 years ago. The people that did do it well were in Taneytown, MD, which is an hour drive. I don't feel like driving up there, but if I have to...

Customer Service .....

Now where will you go first when looking for your next F-L-M ???

This flash is cheap, very well spent money for a Dealer. Looks like Stoler Ford stole another customer!

And they can get reimbursement under warranty....:(

If Ford refuses to pay for the flash because they won't authorize it due to it not being necessary, then it will cost me $60 out of pocket (per Stoler Ford).

Latest posts