great Christmas Eve story

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill V

Reaction score
Hi everyone--

Had to share with all of you something that happened at our church Christmas Eve night...

At each of the Sunday services for the two weeks prior to Christmas, our Pastor had been announcing the Christmas service schedule, and mentioning that the 8:00 Christmas Eve Candlelight service would also be dedicated to the servicemen and women from our congregation, and that they especially wanted any of their families to come to that service. There aren't many military members in our congregation, but one, Brian, is a member of the church choir. He is serving in Iraq, been there since November 2006, due to be coming home in April. Sure enough, his family and his girlfriend all attend the service.

Part way through the service, they're discussing the servicemen and women from the congregation, and mention that they have a special message from one of them. The room goes black, and up on the overhead screens comes a video. There's Brian, in the desert in Iraq with a few of his buddies. He says hi to his family and his girlfriend, and to the congregation, and then start singing "Silent Night". (And quite well, may I add!) After that, they start singing "I'll Be Home For Christmas". They're again doing a wonderful job singing it.

They get to the last line, and sing "I'll be home for Christmas...", when all of the sudden the video cuts out like the power went dead on the projector. A couple seconds later, a spotlight comes on--there's Brian, in the aisle right next to his girlfriend in the pew, in his dress blues, who belts out, "...but only in my dreams!!!"

The only two people in the entire church who knew Brian was back in the US, four months early, were the pastor and the guy running the video projector.

And to top it all off--he immediately got down on one knee and proposed to his girlfriend.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

And of course--she said "yes".

awww that's a wonderful happy and memorable story! Thank you Bill V :) I can just imagine the looks of the Family Members as well as his girlfriend! So sweet! :)

The only two people in the entire church who knew Brian was back in the US, four months early,

So he comes back and hides out from his girlfriend for four entire months?

Olaf, the boy goes to church LOL I can almost bet that the boy contacted his pastor before his trip home and it was set to pick him up earlier that day from the airport! :)

I tell ya the story just brings on the tears! :)

Olaf,

No, he is home 4 months early, he was NOT home for four months.

In other words, he was due home in April, not December....

Good story....

Olaf,

No, he is home 4 months early, he was NOT home for four months.

In other words, he was due home in April, not December....

Good story....

Okay, gottcha. That makes more sense.

Would the movie be about his being home for 4 months or 4 months early? I'd say if he was home for 4 months before pulling the church stunt, there may be more of a story there.....

:cool:

a bit more about the story--

I found out later that when Brian and his singing buddies in Iraq prepared the video, Brian wasn't sure if he'd be home by Christmas, or would be needing to stay until April. But he still wanted to propose at the Christmas Eve service. So he had set up three different plans. Plan A is the one that ended up happening. Plan B was to have the video play, the video would cut out at the same point, and then they'd cut to a live two-way video feed of them in Iraq, finishing the song, with him proposing that way. And Plan C was if they couldn't get the live video feed set up from Iraq--in which case, the video of them singing the two songs, when played to completion instead of cutting it off mid-song, has him proposing: Assuming she then said yes to the video message, the pastor was going to say something like "Oh yeah, I almost forgot--I think this belongs to you," and then give her the ring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts