Got me Transmission "update"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Clymer

Reaction score
So I finally took in the Trac to get the issue looked at. When I would come to a stop it felt as if I were being slammed from behind by another vehicle, but it was the transmission. So yes I finally got it taken in yesterday and had the "update" performed. That is all I was told, but I do have to say it is soooo much smoother now. ALSO, I don't know if this is just me being crazy but I swear I am getting better gas mileage as well. I drove a whole tank after the update & I am now getting about 13.7 mpg/city when I was getting 10.2 mpg/city. MUCH better to deal with.

On a side note, does anyone know how I can go about getting a paint defect fixed? I asked the dealership and they said it is my problem to take up with Ford, they are not going to help me at the dealership. So, any help on that issue would be GREAT! Thanks again everybody!

Sounds like the dealer is giving you the runaround with the paint. They are authorized by Ford, actually obligated, to handle any problems.

Fords problem is their problem. Demand it to be taken care of. If you have to, make a visit to the dealers owner.

Tom

What kind of paint "defect"? I had crows feet in my hood at 30k, and had to argue and fight to get them to fix it, but they did. Now the hood looks great, and the roof is doing the same thing, only worse, faster. I now have flakes of paint coming off right behind the sunroof, and I'm not holding my breath for help.

I have SEVERAL bubbles in my paint on my passenger side doors....it actually looks like every day there are more and more bubbles. I have logged in 4k miles as of today. When I asked the dealership about it they told me they would not help me. They said I have to take pictures and submit them to Ford myself. I think that is a crock of poop. Personally I think they should bend over backwards to help me with this since it is a brand new vehicle.

I'm glad you got that issue addressed (tranny). It may be coinsidence, or the motor still breaking in, but I agree with your better mpg statement.

Right now, my Trac is back for another issue that I previously posted, which I'm supposed to get resolved TODAY (after 8 days!). Seems you & I have had similiar issues. When I get mine back, I'll update.

Sorry abot your paint issues. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Bubbles in the paint is definitely an warranty issue that any Ford dealer is abliged to fix under the warranty. They are giving you a run around.

Most often the warranty will only cover paint defects for up to one year, but many have gotten theirs fixed after the one year limit because they were obvious defects that were not caused by the owner.

I would report that dealer your district Ford rep. (look in your owners manual) or even all the way to Ford HQ. Often they will contact that dealer and remind them of their obligations as an authorized Ford dealer.

The other option is to take the truck to another Ford or Mercury dealership.

...Rich

Yeah I was hoping it would be easy to get them to fix the paint issue, but basically they told me it is my problem and they are not going to help me get it situated. BUT I am glad they could fix the trans issue within 45 minutes.

Bootsy, the dealer should do it. When we bought or Mountaineer, it had a defect (looked like a build-up of paint and no clear coat just on the front fender right where it met the hood). I noticed it a week after we bought it. The dealer gave us no problem and had it fixed over 2 days. (reapplied paint and let it dry) Looks great. (it's the silver metallic, so only my wife and I can tell where the job was done) If you continue to get the run around, contact Ford. Maybe they can get it into the dealer's head to fix the problem.:wacko:

Paint defect of any type is covered 12/12 by ford at any ford dealership.I would turn them in to district rep imediatley. Or get them to put it in writting first so they cant backpeddle, when they get chewed out..

I'm glad your tranny is shifting properly now. Make sure you keep on then to fix the paint. They will cave eventually. I had my trac in for the 3rd time today for a newer reflash and the damn thing is still kicking when i stop.

Glad to hear that the tranny problem is resolved. I too have noticed increased gas mileage since the latest PCM update was done according to the TSB. I am getting up to 21.8mpg/hwy and up to 15.8/city.

In regards to your issue with the paint, I would go back to the dealership and speak to the service manager about your paint problem. If they don't want to fix it then politely ask to use their phone to make a personal phone call and dial the Ford Customer Service Hotline @ 800-392-3673 and see if that lights a fire under their azz. ;)

dave151, when I initially had my PCM updated I experienced the same thing until I reset the PCM. Pull the #7 fuse under the hood, wait a few minutes and then replace the fuse. This clears the PCM and initiates the relearn. You should see improved shifting immediately after that.

Thanks Red, I had it flashed yesterday and the downshift thump is less but it has started the 1-2 hi reving again. I'll try that fuse and see what happens. I love the new trac but i'd like to beat someone with the transmission.

Dave, lol....once you get this tranny issue sorted out you'll be a happy camper. I'm very pleased with how mine performs now. If you have questions about the specifics of what they did to your truck yesterday while in the shop, call your service advisor and ask him to review the details with you. He should be obliged to do it. One of the questions the Ford Customer Survey people will ask you if they call you to take the survey is "Did your service advisor explain/review what was done to your vehicle?"

When i went to pick it up yesterday I asked for the service manager and he was gone. So this morning I fired off an email to him asking what was done. I figure if i use email i'll have everything written down and I have a record. He's been willing to help so far. I figure I should keep some records though incase I have to goto ford to complain!

Other then the trans the new sporttrac is perfect.