got laughed out of a dealership yesurday.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry tanner

Reaction score
i wanted to trade in my wife`s 2008 nissan alitma 2.5sl with less than 18,000 miles. real clean. they told me all i could get for it was $17,000. and my payoff is $23,416.40 i was looking at a 2007 ford explorer eddie bowyer. with 40k miles they wanted $18.990 for it. we i told them i wanted to walk out the door at $25,000. and so it begain the laugher.

hdt

Hdt,

Did you do some online research at Edmunds and KBB before walking on the lot, if for no other reason than to have some baseline?

Edmunds.com shows (depending on options) that you probably are under-water on your Altima if you owe almost $23.4k. Trade-In, Private Party and Dealer Retail prices I got listed were $17.1k, $19.2k and $20.9k, respectively (YMMV).

If you are saying above that you wanted $25k for it, well, that's probably not going to happen.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Eddie Bowyer is a NASCAR driver. :grin:

I was an Oldmobile and Cadillac salesman back in the mid-80's. Whenever we saw someone with a late-model Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler pull up, all of us would run the other way because we knew they'd be upside down.

no i wanted to trade it in for a explorer, and yes i did my research. they laughed when i said i want the explorer for $25,000 out the door with my trade in. they wanted $18,990 for it. but the explorer has been sitting there for a while. so i was hopeing for a deal.

Hdt,

Now I understand.

So, you owed $6.4k more than the trade-in value, they were asking $19k for the EB Explorer. Those two, together are $25.4k, not including sales tax if you have it in your state/county. You only pay sales tax, if applicable, on the difference of the sale vs the trade, which is 2K in your case. That's a few hundred in sales tax, again, if applicable. Beyond that its title and tags.

$25k out the door sounds fair. I suspect they simply didn't really want to take your vehicle in trade. The math works...almost.

But, I'll ask you this...forget about your trade for a second, essentially what you will be doing when all is said and done is paying $25k for a vehicle that no one seems to want to buy for $19k. Why would you do that?

TJR

well they wanted $18,887 out the door. and my wife wanted a explorer. and if i got out the door at 25k my payments would be cheaper that what i`m paying a month on the nissan . $514.00

:cry::smack::sad::soap::angry::toilet:

And, FYI's it's Eddie Bauer. It's been a trim package on Ford Trucks since mid-80's. I had an '87 Eddie Bauer Edition Bronco II ....... little trees on the seats.....and luggage ......:banana:

Car salespeople, as well as a few other professions inevitably rub me the wrong way, without fail!:cheeky:

$17,000 is all.

here is a link to the one i was looking at.

http://www.mikeshad.com/index.cfm?vehicle=2007_Ford_Explorer&action=InventorySearch&subaction=SearchDetailUsed&InventoryID=17307098&inventorytype=Used&preauctionsearch=&fromSearchList

it looks good in the pics. but not that good in person. stains on the back of the second and thrid row. looks like teeth marks on the two front pillers up by the front window.

:banghead::soap:

Hdt,

Something does not make sense. The numbers don't jive.

A. Explorer EB price: ....... 18,990

B. Less your trade-in: ..... -17,000

1. total sales: ..................... 1,990

2. sales tax: .......................... 119

3. Owed on Altima: .......... 23,416

Total less tags, title: ........ 25,525 (1+2+3)

So, even if tags and title, etc were another $400, the out-the-door price to you still should have been about 26k or under.

How they got an "out the door" price almost 3k higher I can't figure. Your offer was good.

Something doesn't jive.

TJR

You should ask for itemized cost. Dont forget the dealership fee. Most used car places only charge 500 bucks, but some dealership corps like to charge as most as possible. THeir definetely sticking it to you somehow. They prob just arent making too much on the vehicle and the salesman is trying to get some fluff on it.

they took the paperwork wouldn`t let me leave with it.

:throwup::boohoo:

owell

they will not get my buissness when i go to get a new one. but i do have to go to a dealership they own for any work done on the car. :sad:

Latest posts