Goodby FORD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good, Gary! I like the taillight lenses on yours better than the ones on my '03. Not sure I like the spoiler over the roof, but I guess up there it won't affect rearward vision :)

Last I remember, you didn't have to own an ST to be a member of this site. The only former members are those that have been banned or choose not to participate.

I owned two STs and did enjoy driving them. I have a lot of knowledge to share with new members about the upgrades/repairs I made and the information I learned from the members of this site. I even have two projects that are part of the archives Rich has set up for the benefit of all members.

The members here are like a family. With any family there are disagreements, and different likes/dislikes.

Big D has made the statement that if you don't own an ST then maybe it is time to leave the site. That would be a lot of people leaving. Tiger, Darin, myself and many others that post on a daily basis no longer own STs. If we leave there will be a loss of ST knowledge for certain.

As long as I am here, I will give honest advice and opinions, and treat people with respect. If someone asks a direct question about the quality or reliability, or my experience with my own STs, I will not lie to them and say that my STs were flawless just to make some other member happy. I also won't tell them I got 20 mpg when I only got 12-15. My driving habits don't allow that sort of mileage in a truck, unless it is a hybrid.

I think it would be very sad if those folks no longer owning STs left the site. I also think it would be sad if honest opinions of our Ford products were squashed just because they are critical of Ford's quality or service.

Perhaps my opinion of Ford is jaded. I have never been one to buy a car just because of its brand name. Because of that, I have owned Chevys, Fords, Toyotas, a Hyundai and a Datsun. Not all of them were new.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Here is my unsolicited experience with all of my vehicles:

1973 Ford Maverick -- my first car. I paid $100 for it. It had over 100K miles on it when I bought it. I drove it for four years and wrecked it with over 200,000 miles on it. It never broke down on me for the four years I owned it. I sold it because I wrecked it on an icy road. A friend of my dad's bought it from me for $100, drove it for six more months before he killed it by rolling it upside down in Texas.

1977 Chevy Monza -- Chevy had the stupid idea of putting a 305 V-8 in this crap car. I couldn't keep it aligned because the suspension was too weak to hold up the engine. It would fly, but had no rear traction. I kept it two years, and sold it. Two weeks after selling it, the right front wheel fell off it's spindle. Truly the worst car I ever owned.

1987 Chevy Spectrum -- my first brand new car. I paid $5000 for it. I put over 100,000 miles on it in four years. Reliable and economical transportation. I just put tires and oil in it, and it was trouble free. I traded it for the next car, so I could get something with an A/C.

1991 Toyota Corolla -- I drove this car for 10 years and only changed the brake pads and radiator, beside routine scheduled maintenance. I always had this vehicle serviced at Toyota dealerships. I took this car to Turkey and Portugal. Toyota service departments in these countries exceeded the excellent service I received in US departments. Once the base in Turkey got a bad batch of gasoline, and all my co-workers cars stopped running (all but one had american-made cars, the other had a Honda Passport). My car continued to run on the bad gas, and I drove them to and from work until they could get new fuel filters from the US. I would probably still have this car if I hadn't rolled it upside down in a ditch in Portugal. I walked from the vehicle with only a half-inch scratch on my right shin, even though the passenger-side roof was smashed down to the headrest. The best car I ever owned. Toyota service has left me permanently jaded towards Toyota service<

LOL. My first NEW car (had several used vehicles previously) was a 1973 AMC Gremlin so I can't pass judgement on anybody. (In my defense it did have a V8 and kicked ass. At least until it started falling apart). :)\

And Nelson, your welcome on this site forever as far as I'm concerned.

I didnt state that you have to have a ST to stay. I stated that if you dont have one, then dont come here just to bash the ST. Stay if you are an enthusiast and are here to help, not hinder.

There are far to many former members that seem to just stay around to push how bad ford or sport tracs are in your face. I say just leave and dont come back. If you have nothing nice to say about the vehicle this site is devoted to, then don't say anything at all.

That being said, if you are a current owner and you have a problem with your ST feel free to complain about it and hopefully someone can help you. Just dont get rid of it then constantly post about how happy you are you got rid of it. We don't want to here it.

Thank you.

P.S. current Toyota owners, unless you have something nice to say or constructive then keep your own forum.

Heres a link so you can find it

Big D,

An enthusiast board where only those that sing the praises of the "item of enthusiasm " would be pretty boring, one-side, and often not too helpul, don't you think?

Should we also take out the following posting categories:

- Reliability

- Performance

- Ride and Handling

- Ford Motor Company Issues

- Comparison To Other Vehicles

- Transmission

- Warranty

I ask because I can't see how you can post to almost any of those topics (and many others) without somehow indicting or raising issue with the Sport Trac or Ford in general.

Do you really want a site were we have all "drink the kool aid" and talk only about the "happy, happy, joy, joy" feelings that our STs give us?

TJR

Nelson all Big D is stating again - that this IS a Sport Trac Enthusiast's Website, for the main purpose of idea and knowledge transfer amongst Sport Trac Owners, of which you used to be one. You have model knowledge that can still be helpful here, hope you understand that and stick around.

I too have noticed with quite regularity an increasing amount of negative posts with no useful intent other than inciting or 'baiting' members, towards the ST or Ford in general. Now, I surely don't speak for anyone other than myself, but I really don't give a rat's ass about the lower class, common entry level foreign owned imports or how great the mileage is, you can't compare a heavy truck designed to carry heavy objects with a disposable car.

If disposa-cars is your thing, I applaud all of you but trying to get converts here is probably a waste of effort!:lol:

Well, think that I'll take the hint and make my departure now.

My knowledge of the ST is somewhat cloudy now since I haven't owned one since March of 2003. And the off-topic posts are getting somewhat mundane as well with the same old tired political bantering.

Trying to convert anyone, chops? Nah, closed minded people abound in this country as well as this site.

Goodbye ST members, hope you continue to enjoy and enhance your rides.

Peace out.

A little ditty in honor of my two STs (inspired by Chops and Big D):

I Miss My ST

I miss how it smelled when I turned the A/C on during a hot muggy day.

I miss how it would hum to me as the compressor ran.

I miss the service manager saying "Good Morning, may I help you?"

I miss spending my Saturdays chatting with all the other Ford owners in the service department.

I miss how my truck would dance down the road after I hit a particular bump.

I miss how it would pause for a few seconds before shifting into third gear. It was like it was asking, "Are you sure you want to go that fast?"

I miss the reaction my daughter had when I'd tell her how much money it took to fill the tank.

I miss having brand new tires every summer -- they always look so shiny when they're new.

I miss the whomp, whomp of the tires -- it had such a danceable beat.

I miss slamming my seatbelt in the door jamb. It was such a nice reminder of how safe I was inside.

I loved my ST, and I miss it. :wub:

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey at least I inspired something.

Aren't you missing how the heated seats turn on by themselves?

You could almost put music to that....I'll give it a 7. :cool:

I sold my Trac because of the service DEPARTMENT. Went to three places and had issues with them all.

Sold it and bought a Lexus SUV...

I loved the Trac and never had a breakdown. My issues were all warranty stuff and maintenance.

Thank you chops and goodbye Darin.

And as for TJR... read the post right above your last one: (Idont know how to use the qhote option... hahaha)

"That being said, if you are a current owner and you have a problem with your ST feel free to complain about it and hopefully someone can help you. Just dont get rid of it then constantly post about how happy you are you got rid of it. We don't want to here it. "

So you can keep all those topics.... cause if you are a current member with a legitimate problem than there is a huge knowledge base here of people that can help you (even if the former ST owners/now ST bashers leave). If you are a former owner that can help someone out without bashing the ST then I also encourage you to stay.

I was just getting sick of former members bashing the ST and listing off all the reasons why they sold the ST and how much better their life is as a result. Even though they are a select few that actually have experienced this (but they post about it often enough it seems like there are more).

Big D,

What about new members who are thinking about buying an ST and need info? They don't have one yet but could benefit from this site. Also, should we support ex-ST owners that are willing to provide positive, helpful input and contributions about their ST owning experience? I can't help but assume you would want and encourage both of those groups of non-ST owners to contribute.

It's just the ex-ST owners that have something negative to say that you want to discourage.

Okay, I gotcha!

TJR

TJR,

I can't speak for Big D, but lately there haave been former ST members that do nothing but discourage everyone to buy a Ford. Buy a Toyota. Much better vehicle. Buy a 40,000 BMW to replace your _______. Frankly, most people are tired of hearing it. Pissed off you were one of the few to get a bad one? I feel your pain. Say your peace and get over it. Still feel obligated to bad mouth Ford and it products, go make an "I hate Ford" website. Bitch and moan there.

What is the web site for? From the index page of mysportrac.com

The mission of this web site is to promote information sharing and enjoyment of the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Here, you'll find a wealth of information about the Sport Trac from owners, aftermarket suppliers, and automotive enthusiasts.

It was not designed to be a website promoting the demise of Ford Motor Company and the Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

We come here to help each other out and only those tht have a problem got the loudest mouths.

Tom

Caymen says:
Pissed off you were one of the few to get a bad one?

Let me know when you are no longer in denial.

Ford quality sucks. I bought my ST because at the time, it was the least expensive, small 4-door truck I could get, and I don't really regret the purchase. But lets not kid ourselves...the quality sucks and it is a WIDESPREAD problem, not a set of isolated bad-luck incidents.

- An underpowered power steering pump that makes the steering shudder.

- Poor alignment, cheap OEM tires, and/or engineering that all equate tires that cup and wear poorly and need rotation way too frequently

- An alternator that whines and wheezes at cold temperatures

- OEM shocks that provide a car-like ride, assuming that car is driven by Ted Kennedy (they simply aren't safe under many road conditions)

Those are just the issues I have had to deal with...and they are very, very common. And 5 or 6 more such common conditions, and the odds are that EVERY ST owner will be plaqued by a few of them.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR, you know not of what you write. I believe the 04 or 05 Trac got a J.D. Powers award for being most reliable in it's class or fewest new owner complaints. Heck, I might be wrong but here is a fact: One or two or ten people who experience a problem out of the 300,000+ Trac owners does not constitute a WIDESPREAD problem. Believe it or not, there are a certain number of vehicles that end up being assembled from a collection of marginal and bad parts. Statistically it will happen and in real life it does. My parents had a Pontiac that was like that; dealer took it back for a full refund. Now maybe you are correct and Ford quality does suck. If that be the case, then I must have gotten one of the good ones that was accidentally assembled from a collection of all good parts. Lucky me.

Steering pump, shocks, tires are all engineering issues, not quality issues. My alternator has never made any noise when it's cold. Quality is an attribute that measure conformance to design specifications; it is not an attribute that measures satisfaction of varied customer desires. The OEM shocks did not meet my expectations of what I thought the ST ride should be. Had nothing to do with quality. The OEM shocks worked as designed and met specifications. They were of high quality, I just didn't like them. That is two different things. Everybody that participates on this site ought to understand that difference and write accordingly.

Latest posts