Goodby FORD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody want some ST stuff...ski rack, soft tonneau cover, ARE cap( 2004 silver).....floor mats

44,000 miles

SOLD TRAC!!! - tired of fixing it every 4000 miles - spends more time in shop than on road. Tires , ball joints, bearings, fan motor, fan squrirel cage, alignment, tuneup, seat motor, seat lumbar inflator, new trailer wiring harness, etc,etc.......need I say more

MY 02 has been trouble free (knock on wood) except for the cheap oem brakes and shocks that I replaced and the dpfe sensor that was replaced under warranty. But everyone gets a lemon sooner or later. Sorry yours was such a pain in the ass.

Oh ho ho blind love for Toyota FTW.

Toyota has actually cut back new model introductions because of a major increase in reliability issues involving their vehicles. I work for Federal Mogul, which for anyone that doesnt know, is about the biggest supplier of OE and aftermarket parts to automobile manufacturers. We got a notice, mainly because it impacts the rate of sale of certain parts.

All my Ford's were trouble free, although I did not have an 04' ST. I had an 02', 03', and 05', had a Ranger for 04'. Maybe that was my problem.

Anyway, sorry you had issues, as the current owner of a Dodge which has already been more trouble than its worth, I feel for you. I dont think there is anything wrong with trying something else because you are having trouble with a current company.

But I dont believe in the thought process of swearing off a company all-together for one bad product. I wont be buying another Chrysler vehicle when I turn in the Caliber, but that does not mean I never will again.

Sorry to hear about your problems Sailmaker, if you feel that way, follow your wallet! Thanks, Derek, I agree with you wholeheartedly, no need to write a product off because of the brand, as ALL vehicles have their issues. I AM GETTING ANOTHER ST next year, and I think it will be better than the 01 I have and intind to pay it off in April of 07! My 01 has had a tranny issue, I fixed it and haven't looked back. To each his own, I respect all opinions, BUT I LOVE MY FORDS!:wub:

In Toyota's defense they recognized the fact that their quality is sliding and they have voluntarily slowed production to take care of these issues. They're going to loose money doing this but they know they have a reputation to protect so it's smart business. When has ANY American car company done that?

I will admit I am biased to Ford for whatever unexplainable reason. However, I have owned Fords, Hondas, Nissans and Infinitis, and the Fords have been just as reliable as the others. None of my vehicles have had major issues. I think there are very few poor cars today. Buy what you like, take care of it and enjoy it.

Sorry to hear about your issues.... still got to say mine has been trouble free for 70k.

In the driveway now:

93 Mustang LX

99 Merc Sable

01 ST

06 Ranger STX EXT Cab

06 Focus 5 Dr.

05 Dodge SRT4 (the black sheep)

Did I say I was partial to FORD? :)

My father got me hooked on Fords. He Drag raced a 1966 Mustang, became state champion, and it was the only car our family had at the time. I've had more Fords than anything, but I have been lucky with my vehicles for reliability no matter what brand. The Sport Trac which I love has been one of my more troublesome vehicles but nothing serious.

Car Resume

67 Fairlane (Why did I get rid of this?) 170,000+ miles

74 Mecury Capri (Totaled)

80 Mustang

71 Firebird (very fun but I wrecked it, my only GM)

70 Maverick (200,000+ miles, no rebuild)

74 Mustang (Blew the 2.3L with 150,000+ miles at 6,500 RPM)

88 Mazda MX-6 (traded for Probe)

79 Mustang 5.0 (wifes, when we got married, 125,000 miles)

90 Ford/Mazda Probe (still have with 130,000 miles)

87 Mazda B2600 4x4 (sold with 125,000 miles)

98 Explorer EB (Traded for Expedition)

01 Sport Trac :wub: (I plan on keeping this awhile)

03 Expedition EB (Wife's. nice and solid, replaced rear end because of noise, under warranty)

Your bound to get one bad apple every once in awhile but if you take care of the problems early, and change your fluids regularly your chances are good for a long term relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Donny Osmond said, "One Bad Apple Don't Spoil The Whole Bunch Girl (or Guy!)!

I've had good and bad luck with all. I'm a G.M. Employee with three Fords and one Chevy

in my driveway, now! Mainly due to G.M. Dealers Shi//y attitude and buying experience,

rather than any quality/reliability issues.

And again, proper maintenance is key on any automibile.

I've seen guys at work (the ones with more money than brains!) trash a new Cadillac

in 40 or 50,000 miles because they beat the he// out of it and did not maintain it, 'cause

it was just a "work car(!!!)" for them.

And as Greg B. listed in his "collection", I had a 1970 Maverick that quit at 175,000 miles,

not because of the engine, but because the sub-frame/shock towers rusted through and

the car basically broke in half at the firewall! (Damn those Michigan Winters!!!):D

I like both of my fords but am haveing alot of troubble getting any quality service at any of the dealerships in my area. All I get is poor quality work that often dosent fix or at bes marginaly fix the issue. Now my warrentee on the st is gone I doubt it will ever see the inside of a dealership service center ever again. Unfortunately the mustang is still coverd and will continue to cause me to deal with idiots. For these reasons I have begone to look at other brands as service after the sale to me is just as important as the initial buy and build quality of the car. I was a mopar man previous to my move to FOMOCO and theire service and build quality was horrable. I seriously doubt I will venture to the GM camp. My next move will probaly be european for the wife (3 series BMW) and a compact asian truck for me. Ford getting there act together has to be more than just the corprate level it must be from the factory all the way to the service department.

I have a 2001 without a single major problem, other than maintenance.

I love how former members like to stick around on this site and do nothing bush bash fords and sport tracs. Get a life.

This site is for sport trac enthusiasts. If you didnt like your ST or feel any ill will against them then do us all a favor and leave.

If you have a problem with them then hopefully you can use this site to get past the problem, but don't come on here after you have gotten rid of your ST and then bash each at every chance you get.

I know how it is to get peeved about a certain manufacture. I once swore off Fords in the 80's after buying a Bronco II. It was the biggest piece of crap I'd ever owned. But I fell in love with the Trac the first time I saw it so I decided to give Ford another try.

The Dodge Caravan I had in the 90's was also a piece of crap. Don't know when I will ever buy a Chrysler product again.

It happens to all brands. I know a family that has 13 Dodge/Chrylers in their possession and they haven't had a single problem with any of them. Luck of the draw I guess.

Big D - your spot on!

hambugers dont come with 5 years of payments and costly repair bills. I like my fords I just hate the service i get. I even dont mind paying a premium price for service done at the dealership as long as its fixed correctly the first time.

Latest posts