give me your two cents.....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Ok so I have an 01 ST with 183, 000 plus miles. Its been a good truck and has served me well. Its recently begun to nickel and dime me (more like $5 and $10 me). It fits every need I have from hauling the dog to my winter transportation. I have located a 2005 exactly like what I have but it only has 72, 000 miles. They are asking $13, 875. Good deal? Bad deal? Thoughts? Oh and mine is fully loaded including a sunroof. Its not an adrenalin though. Struggling with the terrible gas mileage too. Anybody have an 05, does the flex fuel help any? Thanks

Marsha,

Nearly $14K for a 2005 Sport Trac is way, way overpriced. The average dealer retail price for a well equipped 2005 Sport Trac, with 72K miles, in very good condition is only $10K.

I would not buy it unless you can get it for under $10K.

Too many new and used SUV's and Trucks being sold now that offer similar features, newer technology with better gas mileage. The 72K miles is attractive, but does not provide enough incentive to pay $14K for a truck that is only valued at $10K

Sorry, but that is just my two cents, and you asked for it.:grin:

...Rich

The ST is better on the flex, But again it all depends on idling, remote start, and driver habbits...

www.kbb.com

www.nada.com

Check the value of the truck your looking at.

Good luck !!

Todd Z

Lol, the dawg is the reason im having trouble finding something! I checked both nada and kbb. They both have retail at $14, xxx. If I own it, it be below 13, 875 I guarantee it. I never pay what they are asking. The dawg rides in the back with the seats down. I can't find anything that has the same flat seats. Most fold but not flat. She doesnt do well back there when the seats are up!

nadaguides.com says $10800 average trade and $13800 average retail for an '05 with those miles. I assumed 4 wheel drive since you mentioned winter transportation. I would assume an offer of $12,000 would buy it. I know prices on these things are regional in the US, but here in the Southeast you will never find a 2005 4x4 with 72k listed for less than what the one you cited is listed for. I have an '05 2 wheel drive muself woth flex fuel. I do not use E85 fuel, but on regular gas I am getting 15 mpg for my daily commute of highway/downtown driving. I live 17 or so miles from the office. My last tank got about 16.5 but it had a few more miles of highway driving than usual. But I did not buy it for gas mileage!! I have about 84k on mine now.

Marsha,

If I remember correctly, you're in Des Moines. I was checking lots on the east side 2 weeks ago, and there were 4 or 5 Sport Tracs on 2 lots on University, I think between Hubbell and E 21st. In that area anyway.

There have been several on craigslist lately including an '04 Adrenelin with 87,000 miles. The guy is practically begging people to buy it. Last price he was down to $6400. It's orange, which may be part of the problem getting it sold. I like orange, just can't justify another Trac!

FYI - I paid $10,900 for mine last Christmas, 64,000 miles.

Duane, I hadnt seen that listing. Missed it because it was misspelled I guess. Want to stay away from a salvage title though. Dont mind orange. You didn't buy yours at Beneventi did you?? I missed out on an 01 green with only 54k

The E85 I thought actually gets poorer fuel millage in our fleet cars but the price is lower per gallon. We went back to the regular fuel because in the long run it saved where I work money and it is corrosive more to the vehicle fuel system. This is what they told us at least.

I own an 2005 2wd. I have been tracking milage since it had 4000 miles on it (now @125,000) I get a consistant 16mpg hwy/city. I run E85 every now and then but only if there is more than .50 cents a gallon difference. Mileage drops to 12-13 on E85.

But I agree 14 is way too much

Marsha,

I did not know you were looking for a 4x4, but down here in Texas a fully loaded used 2005 ST XLT, with 72K miles in very good condition, including leather, pwr driver/passenger seats, etc still only list at $11,500 Dealer Retail.

Perhaps it's because Texas is Pickup Truck country, and that means there are a lot on the market for sale? So Trucks prices are like Real Estate everything is based on Location, Location, Location. :grin:

...Rich

Marsha,

I bought mine at Extreme Auto Plaza. Mine's a prior salvage title, but other than under 1 door handle where the paint is lifting (gonna fix it as soon as it quits raining every day and warms up!), you have to look really close to notice any flaws. Supposedly mine had mostly box damage, but I'm pretty sure it's had a full repaint. And I doubt there's a cleaner 65,000 mile engine anywhere. No way anyone could clean a dirty engine and get it that clean. Under carriage is just as clean. Drives like new, so prior salvage title isn't always something to shy away from.

The ones I saw along University ranged from 111,000 miles and below, I think.

Marsha,

I bought mine at Extreme Auto Plaza. Mine's a prior salvage title, but other than under 1 door handle where the paint is lifting (gonna fix it as soon as it quits raining every day and warms up!), you have to look really close to notice any flaws. Supposedly mine had mostly box damage, but I'm pretty sure it's had a full repaint. And I doubt there's a cleaner 65,000 mile engine anywhere. No way anyone could clean a dirty engine and get it that clean. Under carriage is just as clean. Drives like new, so prior salvage title isn't always something to shy away from.

The ones I saw along University ranged from 111,000 miles and below, I think.

Latest posts