Getting my handgun permit, any suggestions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob C:

I really like my Springfield Armory XD9 Sub Compact w/night sights for CCW. Below is a 20,000 round torture test. Mine shoots great and never misses a beat. Couple that with a Blackhawk serpa holster and you're ready to go. 13 rounds in the regular mag and 16 in the extended mag.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

'07 ST:smile0006:

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen:

Check Meijer's for 9mm. I didn't realize they even carried ammo til a couple months ago. Kept checking back and one night they had 10 boxes of WWB(100 rd value Packs) on the shelf for $19.99 each. Bought all 10. Like $214.00 for 1000 rounds...just like the pre Obama days. Haven't seen any since. They do have .40, 45 ACP and 38 special at my store most of the time. Some are sale priced, some are not!

My next buy will be a Browning Buckmark Camper for plinking. I hear its a great 22 LR pistol for the price.

'07 ST

I could have a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world,

That was until S&W came out with the .500 S&W Magnum. That is one powerful emmer effer.

Check Meijer's for 9mm. I didn't realize they even carried ammo til a couple months ago.

Unfortunatly, we do not have any Meijers near me. If I keep checking I can find Blazer Brass 9 mm in 50 rd boxes for $8.97. It is hard to find though.

My next buy will be a Browning Buckmark Camper for plinking. I hear its a great 22 LR pistol for the price.

Invest in the URX grip and get it with a rail. I wish I did. I can get a rail for the one I got, unfortunatly you lose the iron sights with it. if you buy it WITH the rail, you get the iron sights with it. The URX grip is REALLY nice.

I love to shoot my Buckmark. I can hit targets at 100 yards using the iron sights. That is pretty impressive.

Tom

To add to Todd's comment on NY permits, in upstate NY it was expensive, they do a complete background check and it took about 5 months to get back in '94 when I got mine. Then the issuing judge up here puts a restriction on the permit, like "hunting and target". It almost seems up unconstitutional for a judge to restrict usage. Apply for the permit indicating you want it for protection and to carry concealed and you'll likely not be issued the permit up here . Carry into NY, NYC or a state that has tougher laws and get stopped and you could have problems.

Sorry to digress. The disparity in pistol permits and restrictions across the states is astonishing, no matter what your position. Good luck in your decision Bob. The 9mm Sig 226 is nice.

Todd:

With Bloomberg in your state, it's a wonder you can even own a BB gun!

'07 ST

Ted Kennedy's car killed more people than my gun has! :smile0015:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it goes BANG, I love it. In the market for something new shortly. In AR, you can walk into a store and less than 20 minutes walk out with a handgun, rifle, etc. Supressors are welcome, NFA, ditto and toys with a giggle switch, if you can afford the ammo.

Debating my next purchase... a semi-auto, 16.05" barreled Thompson (if I can find a used one for the price), an M1 Carbine to go with my Garand or a 1911-A1.

For personal protection, I'm a little leary of anything that does not start with a '4'...