Getting my handgun permit, any suggestions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
Should have a handgun purchase permit in a few weeks. I've been looking and have decided on a 9mm, just don't know which brand to choose. My budget is $500 to $700 and I like the Ruger, Glock and Taurus. Any thoughts? BC

Glock the grip is too square.....Tarus is cheeply made.....

Save a Couple $$ and get a Sig-Sauer..

Here is my 9mm Sig 226..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Springfield XD myself. I have the .45acp, but the 9mm is nice too. You can even get the "Nite Sights", if you like them. The truth is it's best to go to a shop or a show and hold them for yourself. You'll know it's the right "fit" when you pick one up. Then you just have to figure out if it "fits" your needs. anyway, good luck!

Springfield Armory XD series falls into that price range. I really like shooting mine, but can't compare to Sig or really any other brands.

[Broken External Image]:

I carry a Sig for work.

I have zero complaints other then it is a fairly large version which creates some challenges to conceal is in all cases.

I own about 18 holster variations so I can wear it with pretty ,much anything I wear.

Great gun..

Put over 30,000 rounds through it before we did a COMPLETE rebuild on it. Until then, simply replaced the spring every 5000 rounds.

Already have 1 million coverage, should I get more?

I did look at the Sig and was very impressed, Springfield, not sure. Hekler was too expensive. Will continue the search. What about any magazines on handguns? BC

Should have a handgun purchase permit in a few weeks.

Unfreakingbelievable! You HAVE to get a permit to PURCHASE a handgun? Give me a break!:smile0003:

Anyways, what are you wanting the handgun for?

I have a couple of handguns.

CZ-52 Chech Military postol 7.62x25 very powerful. Ammo is cheap and I use it for plinking.

Browning Buckmark Practical URX .22 LR nice for hitting targets at 100 yards.

Ruger LCP .380ACP My carry pistol. Hides VERY easy.

Firestorm .380 Same as the Bersa Thunder 380, except nicer grip. .380ACP Very, very accurate.

S&W 642CT. .38 Special +P The wife's carry gun. Simply a work of art. Well machined and solid as a rock.

Hi-Point C9. 9mm Luger. Laugh all you want. Ran 2500+ rounds through it without one jam, hiccup, misfire, etc. For the money, it rules. Made in the USA in Mansfield, Ohio with a lifetime warranty. Got it when 9mm ammo was cheap...not no more....

Are you planning on have it as a Concealed Carry pistol or home defense? Plinking or what? Buying a gun is very serious. Shoot hundreds upon hundreds of rounds through it. Decide on what protection round, if any, you want. I run either Glaser blues with some Hornady Critical Defense in my LCP, Glaser Blue's (.38 Spcl +P) in the S&W, some Federal Hydra-shok's in the 9mm sitting in the nightstand, and buck and ball in the shotguns.

This is for home and personnel defense.

Depending on what you plan to do will help decide what to go with.

In example, if it is for target practice only, then go with a full size gun. If this is for personel protection and Concealed Carry, then get something much smaller. Nothing more annoying than trying to "hide" a big gun. If it is for both, then get a medium size gun. Small guns suck to shoot. Too much recoil on a small pistol, but worth it when easy to hide.

Get my point?

[Broken External Image]:

S&W

[Broken External Image]:

Firestorm

Tom

Tom, here in New Jersey, you need a firearms ID card(good for life to purchase any long gun)

A hand gun permit is required for purchase and is good for only 90 days. You can enter as many permits as you will need as long as you buy within 90 days. After that, you have to apply for another purchase permit. This will put you on a state and federal handgun list. Its a lot of paperwork for a $5 FID card and $2 more for each handgun purchase permit. Will let you know in 30 days if its approved. BC

Move to Ohio. No permit needed. Just fill out the federal ATF form, if purchasing through an FFL, and walk out with a gun.

That is sickening. If you buy a gun F2F, nobody knows you got it and you are not breaking ANY rules.

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?

Tom

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?

The whole thing, Caymen, the whole thing. Sadly. The 2nd amendment shoulda been the first.

Having to buy a permit is ridiculous. If you're movin', go to Vermont, they have an F rating with the Brady Campaign.

Even MD doesn't require you to have a permit to buy...and you can even carry your gun without a permit to certain events, hilariously including dog trainers. I guess MD dog trainers suck?

If you buy a gun F2F, nobody knows you got it

Caymen, I thought the legendary 4473 had to be filled out, and kept on file for 20 years, and then submitted to the BATFAE (sp?) when the gun store ceased conducting business, so someone would know?

That said, sadly I haven't bought one. Not enough money, and no chance of getting any sort of carry permit, and even if I did, couldn't have it at my workplace where I spend a lot of time :(

(Not to say that I don't desire one)

Here's hoping you get the permit though.

Caymen, I thought the legendary 4473 had to be filled out, and kept on file for 20 years, and then submitted to the BATFAE (sp?) when the gun store ceased conducting business, so someone would know?

The 4473 is required when buying from a FFL holder. Also, from what I read, the 4473 is not submited to the BATFE, UNLESS the FFL holder ceases to to business. Ultimatly, it is only kept for a certain number of year, and then destroyed.

Tom

NY REQUIRES a permit to own a handgun.... Only need a drivers license to purchase a rifle !!!

And the permit process is not cheep..... Suffolk county is $300.00 Requires 10 finger fingerprinting, Nassau is like $250 plus $300 each year to renue !!!!

But it is what you have to do.....Not right at all.....

and NOT everyone is given the permit....

Todd Z

I love living in Virginia. I just went to gun show the other month, filled out the purchase form(backround check) and 20 minutes later had my new pocket pistol... Beretta Bobcat .22LR

You can only buy one handgun per 30 days here in VA unless you have a CCW, which I have.

When considering a handgun you want to shoot all the ones you are considering. Check with your local shooting range and see if they rent guns. That way you can see what fits in your hand and is comfortable when firing.

I personally have a Glock 17 but many on here have made great suggestions. Also like others have said, think about what you are going to be doing with it as it will affect your purchase choice.

One you have made your choice...go shooting at least once a month.

Bob

I don't know if this is you 1st pistola in NJ but keep in mind this little tidbit. I got many P/P in the 20 years I lived there. ( I just moved to Virginia where you can almost but a Desert Eagle at the 7 11)

NJ does not like issuing purchase pursuits for handguns. The told you the permit will be issued in 3 months...call them when the due date arrives. They will conveniently forget to call (hoping you don't want it anymore) Woodbridge did it, East Brunswick did it, I'm sure you local will do it.

Ok back to the gun, you don't say what you want it for. Target? Protection, Carry? My personal preference id S&W but there are a lot of nice Colts. I also love laser sights.

My favorite is a S&W 357 model 19 revolver. It's my home protection gun. Yeah it's a bazooka but with the trigger guard laser sight I won't miss, and it won't jam.

In your price range I would go for a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. It's a competition pistol about $700 new.

[Broken External Image]:

My uncle is the firearms expert in the family. He advised me to look for powerful, light, and easily concealed. Therefore I got a Taurus Millenium PT-111 9mm. I have a hip paddle holster, pocket holster, and an ankle holster, depending on what I'm wearing. I hardly know it's there.

I could have a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, so you've got to ask yourself one question punk....sorry, anyway as I was advised by my shooting instructor, a .44 Mag or whatever often ends up not doing people a lot of good because it's so heavy that after a short while they end up leaving it at home because it's a PITA to carry all the time.

I have carried a 45 auto for 40 years and would feel naked without it. If you feel comfortable with a certain gun and it just naturally comes up to your point of aim and the recoil is manageable, then thats the one for you.

Shoot some of your friends guns, go to the range , offer to pay for ammo, get the feel of the right one, do some research, and above all don't make your decision hastily. carrying a firearm for protection is a heavy responsibility and most states are now making it easier to use if you have to. The Castle Laws. Read the law and understand it thoroughly.

In those 40 years I have only ever had to use it once and unholster it 3 times.

The rule is..

Its better to have one and not need it , than it is to need one and not have it.

Latest posts