Getting an exhaust for the v8... Any suggestions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
Many of you know of my ol' modded V8 Gen 1... Well the flex pipe (temp exhaust) has to go and I know nothing about what makes a good exhaust or what is a good price to pay... Just what the "Summit catalog" tells me.

>I would like a "sharp" sounding dual exhaust that is not restrictive but is also not really loud.

>Due to the longer wheel base of the sport trac I do not believe explorer kits will work so it will need to be custom. With that being said what are my concerns with O2 sensors.

>As mentioned by others I think a dual in dual out cat is all that will fit.

>price is an issue

Open to all suggestions

-Don D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Run 2 smaller cats like the Pre cat style on each y pipe..... Put in a X pipe for the back 02 sensor, and run a dual in dual out muffler, 2 tails...

Done..

Todd Z

Todd Z i couldnt have said it better! i would go with flowmaster 40 series for a muffler if you want a deeper rumble, but the 50 series suv muffler adds another "chamber" in the muffler, keeping that 40 series rumble at a lower noise level, run the pipes out the back, i have mine as 45s out the back corners but if the truck goes up on a lift or the leafs drop too much it hits the pipes and they sag and it looks bad, the cleanest way ive seen gen 1 exhaust is to run a pipe on the OUTSIDE of the leafsprings and straight out the back on the far edges of the bumper, you may have to heat wrap part close to what i think is the fuel pump... since you have a v8, you have enough power to run 2.5" pipeing, this will give you a free flowing system, but keep enough backpressure and keep volume down, any deeper than that and it may have what i call the "farm truck" sound. if you arnt wanting to invest in a muffler such as a flowmaster, the cheaper route is glasspacks, i would do one on each pipe to keep sound down but still keep it sounding good at a cost effective rate, top it off with 3 inch or bigger tips of your choice and enjoy! a local muffler shop will be able to provide you with what you need, and make sure the tubing is mendrel bent for a smoother and less restrictive flow. i am very eager to know how your project turns out so let me know when it is done!

cool Beans... Thanks guys this is exactly what is great about this forum, No nonsense/"this is how its done advice."

:smile0006:

so >two small cats on each out on the headers >then to a x pipe with the 02 sensor mounted in the middle >then to a dual in dual out muffler >out to where ever I want the exhaust to stick out of the truck. And running the exhaust along the outside of the leaf springs looks the best.

=I think I got it.

-Graham, I will be sure to post and put up pics when its all done... I am pricing it out this week and I am hoping to find a cost effective way of putting the tips through the side of the rear bumper like another member did.

-Don D.

Todd... I thought you couldn't put dual exhaust on the Gen 2 because of the independent suspension - or the lack of the typical rear end? :smile0005:

Yep Don, The x-pipe will do an exellent job of equalizing exhaust pulses. Pipe from the headers will be unequal, having to exit on passenger side. I suspect the 5.0L from the donor was single exhaust and single final O2 sensor. Middle of the X, perfect for the sensor. Your choice of muffler, dual in, dual out. I prefer the sound of magna-flo on the 5.0L. Or the edelbrock rpm series. If they still make it the edelbrock rpm is a twin straight thru with an X-path internal. Could serve as a secondary equalizer. I had them on the 5.0L HO '88 T-bird I built. It was queit at cruise. No cabin noise.