Get the Feeling You're Being Watched? If You're Driving, You Just Might Be

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
By WILLIAM M. BULKELEY

The village of Schaumburg, Ill., installed a camera at Woodfield Mall last November to film cars that were running red lights, then used the footage to issue citations. Results were astonishing. The town issued $1 million in fines in just three months.

But drivers caught by the unforgiving enforcement -- which mainly snared those who didn't come to a full stop before turning right on red -- exploded in anger. Many vowed to stop shopping at the mall unless the camera was turned off. The village stopped monitoring right turns at the intersection in January.

Once a rarity, traffic cameras are filming away across the country. And they're not just focusing their sights on red-light runners. The latest technology includes cameras that keep tabs on highways to catch speeders in the act and infrared license-plate readers that nab ticket and tax scofflaws.

Drivers -- many accusing law enforcement of using spy tactics to trap unsuspecting citizens -- are fighting back with everything from pick axes to camera-blocking Santa Clauses. They're moving beyond radar detectors and CB radios to wage their own tech war against detection, using sprays that promise to blur license numbers and Web sites that plot the cameras' locations and offer tips to beat them.

Cities and states say the devices can improve safety. They also have the added bonus of bringing in revenue in tight times. But critics point to research showing cameras can actually lead to more rear-end accidents because drivers often slam their brakes when they see signs warning them of cameras in the area. Others are angry that the cameras are operated by for-profit companies that typically make around $5,000 per camera each month.

"We're putting law enforcement in the hands of third parties," says Ryan Denke, a Peoria, Ariz., electrical engineer who has started a Web site, Photoradarscam.com, to protest the state's speed cameras. Mr. Denke says he hasn't received a ticket via the cameras.

Protests over the cameras aren't new, but they appear to be rising in tandem with the effort to install more. Suppliers estimate that there are now slightly over 3,000 red-light and speed cameras in operation in the U.S., up from about 2,500 a year ago. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says that at the end of last year, 345 U.S. jurisdictions were using red-light cameras, up from 243 in 2007 and 155 in 2006.

One traffic-cam seller, Arizona-based American Traffic Solutions Inc., recently reported it had installed its 1,000th camera, with 500 more under contract in 140 cities and towns. Rival Redflex Holdings Ltd. says it had 1,494 cameras in operation in 21 states at the end of 2008, and expects to top 1,700 by the end of this year.

(click on link for the rest of the article)

There's a good and bad side to them.

I think I still have the photo of the back of my wife's Bronco sailing under a red light .......$50 !!

They did remove them all here in Charlotte, NC.

Not a bad idea, what Gitmo terrorist would want to be released in this country?

Think I will register my Trac in my dogs name. They can lock her up and feed her. During hunting season I'll change the registration to my wife.

The city of Waco, TX just bought a bunch of those traffic light monitoring cameras. Once of city council members was filmed asking if the cameras could be used to film other violations. The police cheif answered yes, but they were only focusing on the people running the traffic lights. He said the cameras also recorded the vehicles speed and took a series of photos to get the licesnse number, but do not idenify the driver.

They had the same kind of cameras in Germany 40 years ago and they ticket the owner of the vehicle, and they don't care who was driving. I think that is going to be a hurdle for the US laws to overcome.

I don't object to the cameras to monitor people who run red lights since I can name several locations in Waco where you can sit for 10-15 minutes and you will witness someone run the light. Especially in the left turn lanes when traffic is real heavy.

...Rich

I'm no lawyer, but the 6th amendment allows us

to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

So who witnessed ME running a redlight? NO ONE, a machine witnessed MY CAR running a red light. My cousins third husband's sister's uncle borrowed my car that day, but I don't remember his name.. issue him a ticket.

Is not the only problem we face, rental cars with GPS unit (hidden) so you can be tracked.

ECMs that record speed, get in an accident, your insurance company can access the exact speed at which the accident occured, 2 miles over the limit? you broke the law.

all claims denied, is happening folks.

camera's have been in use in ny city boro's for at least 5 years. violations are issued to the vehicle owner regardless of who is driving. the violation does not carry any points for the owner just a fine of approx $100.

when you receive the violation it contain awesome pics of the vehicle, plate number and the vehicle passing thru the red light.

i get them all the time from my fleet drivers

bill,

i love the technology (black box) used in vehicles to determine speed in vehicles. there was a case here on long isle where 2 kids were racing in a bmw and vette, and the vette driver hit an innocent other party that killed them instantly. the "black box" was removed from the vette and it was travelling at over a 110 MPH. vette driver was charged with murder and the bmw driver rec'd a manslaughter charge for participating.

justice served !!

Municipalities have been known to shorten the "yellow" time so as to catch more cars in the intersection during a red. It's amazing that when the parking meters were checked for accuracy in New York several years back, most were running fast so as to short change the one hour time and increase parking tickets. Amazing...huh?

Funny this post came up today, I saw on Fox News that one city was thinking about using the cameras to record your Tag number and check for valid insurance, no insurance, you get a ticket in addition to running that red light. Big Brother is gonna be out there. We have more cameras watching us than ever before and not even know it.

And who knows what the Satellites are looking at up there.

JD Boxes,

It's not the right to face a witness, it's the right to face your accuser. And Yes, I agree that we have the right to face our accusers but that accuser does not have to be a witness. When the Constitution was written, they did not have cameras, DNA testing, fingerprints, or any of the scientific technology we have now. Many crimes are comitted without witnesses and yet the criminals were proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Most lawyers and procecutors will tell you that Eye witness testomony is some of the most inaccuarate kind of evidence and often totally wrong. Cameras, and DNA don't lie and don't have any bias, as long as that evidence was processed correctly and not tampered with.

In the OJ Simpson case, he beat the DNA evidence because his lawyers put a sliver of doubt that the police may have planted OJ's DNA and in the minds of an already Pro-OJ jury it was enough to get him aquitted. Having said that, i think his robber conviction in Las Vegas was a set up, since it's not very often that your co-conspiritor happens to be taping the crime ???

It's pretty hard to beat photo graphic evidence that you ran a red light, and you will be confronting your accuser who will be the prosecutor and his evidence will be the photos from the camera. If you can prove that the camera malfunctioned, you can probably beat the ticket.

My opinion of most traffic laws is that they are intended to make our roads saver. The fines imposed for traffic violations do not do anything to promote safety and serve only as a big source of revenue for the cities and states. I think simply charging and administrative fee of $40-$50 and making that person attend defensive driving classes everytime they get a ticket would do more to improve safety and get drivers to obey the traffic laws. Lets face it, if you have a lot of money, paying fines means nothing. But if you have to sit in class for 8 hours, with a bunch of other idiots, now that's punishment to everybody..:wacko::wacko::wacko:

...Rich

They are every where, one view is to say, if you don't break the law what is the harm, the other view is it infrindges on our right to privacy.....and being fast and furious! :D

Watch out in most of the major cities across the country. The cameras are everywhere. on the interstates, highways and tunnels too and not just in the intersections. They are going to be in most towns eventually, because it's easy revenu and without actually having to spend money on paying a uniformed cop to man the roads, not to mention the fuel it saves not having to use a car to chase the speeders down. It pays for itself in no time at all...

It is a scary thing though.

And Richard L, you know that ...NOBODY Messes with Texas! :D

Richard,

Your talking about evidence that paints a picture to a very specific person though. It's my understanding that these cameras take pictures of the back of vehicles, which has no identifying information about who is actually driving.. so refer back to my example of who was driving my car at the time..

I always feel like someone is watching me. I take meds for it. Sheesh, dont tell them about the meds. Dont want 2 of them watching me.....:lol::lol:;)

It's a little know fact that Texas has had voice recorders in vehicles for a long time. They use it only on fatal accidents as a investigative tool. Most fatal accidents in Texas the last words of the driver were "Hold my beer and watch this".

The just reinstalled several of these in Virginia Beach, at the most accident prone intersections of the city, and I think they work; I have seen a marked reduction in people trying to beat the light during morning rush hour.

I don't have the privacy concerns -- heck, I'm in public -- everyone can see me. If I want privacy, I'll stay in my house with the voices :)

There's also cases of the cameras giving tickets if you stop beyond the stop line on the street. So, imagine this...traffic is busy, the light is green, you happen to be just beyond the stop line and the light turns red without you being able to go forward or back. Bang..ticket.

Check out the new speed cameras they're about to install in Texas. They don't take excuses and are supposed to be 100% accurate.

[Broken External Image]:

I love 'em!

Here in Sacramento, they've pulled all the cameras and replaced them with ones with photo and video cameras, so you can't say "It wasn't me, I wasn't running a red!" Now they have it on video also. Worth every penny they spend on them, I say! Damn red light running is an epidemic, and a dangerous one at that! They're also raising the fine to $451 for it too... I wish it was $1000!

Is a way around that Krash, met a bud of mine at a car show today, has an 06 Roush.

3 yrs old, still has the paper plate on the window and no plates on his car, lives in roseville.

Talking about tech, car show was put on by the SJPD, hundreds of LEOs there.

talked with several about my towns decision to abandon High speed persuits as most of the time innocent people get killed.

In the near future they will have a device (already works) that can send out a signal that frys the ECM, thus bringing said car to an immediate halt, Now thats pretty cool.