George T - axle seal leak update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
My mechanic friend looked in the issue of the weekend with 4 different suppliers. All the suppliers were given him seals and CV half shafts out of a Ford Explorer, not a Ford Explorer Sport/Sport Trac. After changing suppliers the seal and CV half shaft are holding after 50 miles of driving at all speeds. I thought the CV shaft was smaller than the original. Even the second shaft was smaller too. The last shaft installed is beefy.

Im not sure on the part numbers but I can ask if you like. The NAPA and National brand seals did not fit correctly after 3 installs and they still leaked and weaped. Cross referencing the numbers were not a match. They did go with a Motorcraft seal matched with the VIN, and no leaks so far

I hope this helps. After 2 weeks of fustrations, I have a good feeling its fixed for now.

Al,

Thanks a lot man. I doubt the brand names were the same, so the part number wont help until I decide to rebuild it again so that I can use the "good" and parts that actually fit.

Glad you got yours fixed though. Im gonna have to go through my paperwork and receipts to look at the receipts and make sure I got the part for the Sport Trac and not the explorer. I will email you if i need the part numbers.

Thanks a lot for the help and letting me, I really appreciate it. Now i at least know where to start looking, thanks again...

Time to get under the ST and get the hands dirty again haha:banghead:

No probem. Checked underneeth and things are still holding. if you need any help even getting the parts if your local for dealer can't get them, let me know. The local dealer does have the seal in stock. I believe they can ship it to you as well.

Latest posts