Geocaching anyone?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
Was wondering how many people here might be into Geocaching, which is finding caches hidden throughout the country by using a GPS and latitude/longitude? I've been into it since the spring, and really like the new areas that it has taken me to that I never knew existed. See the link below for more info on it.

Chris, n8wgb

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Chris, I've been interested in it but have yet to go in search of my first cache. A couple of the guys I work with are really into it.

I too have an interest. I hope to go in search of my first cache after Christmas, if Santa brings me that GPS receiver I asked for. ;)

Ok, here's a little explanation of what Geocaching is.

You go to the www.geocaching.com site and put your zip code into the box on the top-right of the page to find caches near you. Then you try to go find them using the latidude and longitude given in the cache listing, usually by using a handheald GPS unit.

All caches will have a log to record that you have found it, but the larger caches will have some trade items in them. The idea here is to sign the log to record that you found the cache, and if you want to take something from the cache, you leave something of equal value. The caches are sometimes small matchstick containers that have only a log, but may be as big as a 5 gallon pail. Most caches have toy items, or something similar, and this is a hobby of many families, as the kids have a fun time finding the cache and sorting through the items. After you find them, then you record your find on the geocaching web site.

That's all there is to it...until you realize that most GPS recievers are good to about + - 15 feet(in the BEST of conditions), and the cache could be anywhere in that circle. In the middle of a woods in the summer, with leaves on the trees, you might have 50-100' accuracy or worse. Of course, mosquitoes, poison ivy, briars, snow and ice also add some excitement to the hunt... :rolleyes:

For me, I was told I had to get out and walk more, so this is a way to get out into the parks and other areas. A lot of the caches are placed in out of the way areas that might be easy to get to, but you never knew existed in your area. I've found a bunch that way, as well as having to walk a mile or more to find some.

Quite a few places have area clubs that can help you also. Check the web site for more info on those...

my only concern is wandering onto priviate property. In the south we tend to get a little trigger happy at times and Im allergic to the busy end of firearms. But that said parks , state and fed forest land and other public acess areas are good for me. I've even read that some are theme based and others are historicly based and that sometimes there will be some info as to the caches location signifance. It all sounds pretty neat and hope to try it some day.

Ooops...forgot to say in the above description that caches are allowed ONLY on public land. Caches found to be on private land are taken off the web site, unless the cache owner has specific permission to hide it there.

Yes, there are theme-based caches, and many caches are historicaly based. Your imagination is the limit... Check out the link below to one of my caches.

I cache under the name Spongebob. I've been a bit inactive lately since I've been bicycling on the weekends. I think I'm going to do some cacheing this winter, if the snow's not too deep.

wow, thats crazy! There are a ton near my zip code......maybe I'll get into this.....what is a good entry level not too expensive GPS unit? lol

I tried it last summer for the first time and stumbled onto someones pot farm. I left the area after marking the location and called the sherriff with the location. they were very happy with me. Garmin 110 great GPS but the radios suck

Fmarano, Garmin has 2 that I've been told (by a coworker who geocaches) are very good entry level ones: Etrex and Etrex Vista. Also Magellan makes a series called eXplorist (and a series called Sportak) I'm adding the Magellan eXplorist 210 to my wishlist!

check out the link below

Edit: You can find out a lot about the units at the link but can get better prices IMO at amazon.com

Latest posts