General suspension problems. Time to lift?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Tomczak

Reaction score
I took the Trac in today for a pair of tires and another alignment. Once the tires were on they started on the alignment and found the the drivers side upper control arm bushings are bad. There is a lot of movement. The rear bushing allowed about a half inch of play and the front bushing had about a quarter inch of play. The bolts were tight and the play was for sure in the bushings. I have looked and can't really find just the UCA bushings. I would have to buy a a complete UCA assembly. The best price I have found is 275 for the upper but also means the replacement of the lower control arm. I would probably also replace the CV while I have the spindle off.

I have always wanted to lift my truck and now might be the time. I know that Super Lifts makes a lift for the Trac but keeps the Tbar. RCD and DBR both make coil conversions that should fit the Trac with little to no modifications. The only one I have heard of so far is with RCD that forces you to use the smaller ranger calipers. The lifts all seem to be about the same in cost, but more work for the conversions. The DBR long travel conversion comes with new CVs though.

Any thoughts? Comments? Anyone in Utah wanna come over and help? I will by you some pizza and beer.

I will start off by saying the I personall have not done a lift, but I am sure that others that have done one will respond. You need to replace the upper control arms whether you do a lift or not. I suggest that you use the MOOG Problem Solver upper control arms because they are greasable. I think the you will have to replace the upper control arms even if you do a coil over conversion as that is only a shock/torsion bar replacement. If you do the lift make sure you use longer front end links too.

Any thoughts? Comments? Anyone in Utah wanna come over and help? I will by you some pizza and beer.

Sounds awesome. I will take you up on that offer. Send me a plane ticket to fly from Ohio and we are set.

Tom

I found Brand new Uppers for the prices below....

DORMAN Part # 520221 {Original Equipment Solutions #1F70-35-211, 2L5Z 3083-AA, 3L5Z 3083-AA, 6L5Z 3085-AA, F5TZ 3083-A}

Includes Ball Joint and Bushings; Front Left Upper $36.99

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5021022B {Red Label-Service Grade}

Front Suspension; Right Upper; Complete Arm With Ball Joint $44.79

ADJUSTABLE STYLE:

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5001090B {Red Label-Service Grade}

Front Suspension; Right Upper; Adjustable Arm With Ball Joint $19.20

ALSO here are just the bushings :

2002 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L 245cid V6 FI (E) : Suspension : Control Arm Bushing Price Core Total

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5651273 {Professional Grade}

Front Suspension; Lower Front

$9.55 $0.00 $9.55

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5651274 {Professional Grade}

Front Suspension; Lower Rear

$9.55 $0.00 $9.55

MOOG Part # K80099

Rear Suspension; Upper; Front

$10.12 $0.00 $10.12

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5601061B {Red Label-Service Grade}

Front Suspension; Upper

$11.15 $0.00 $11.15

ACDELCO Part # 45G9273 {#45G9111, 88912688, 89056250}

BUSHING,FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM -; LOWER FRONT

$12.78 $0.00 $12.78

ACDELCO Part # 45G9274 {#89056251}

BUSHING,FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM -; REAR

$12.78 $0.00 $12.78

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5601061 {Professional Grade}

Front Suspension; Upper

$17.77 $0.00 $17.77

MOOG Part # K80100

Rear Suspension; Upper; Rear

$19.39 $0.00 $19.39

ACDELCO Part # 45G8061 {#88912567}

Front Upper Control Arm Bushing; UPPER

$24.79 $0.00 $24.79

I am aware that no mater which option I chose I will be replacing the UCA, that is why it may just be "better" to lift it now. If I am replacing the UCA and upper ball joint I should do the lower ball joint as well. If I am doing all that and have the spindle off already I can save myself some work and not press out the ball joints by simply lifting it will a new knuckle and hopefully dumping the torsion bar as well.

I live in Ogden right off of 12th Street. Where are you at Chase 01? I don't suppose that you have the comp orange Trac with the bumper and tail light guards?

I have found a couple more options for lifts for Trac. In addition to the RCD, Dixon Bros Racing, and Super Lifts most everyone else knows about, I found one from Brenthel Industries and one from Camburg Engineering. I am comparing prices and features now on all of the kits. Has anyone lifted with any of these kits before and able to offer some insight? I am aware of a few with PA body lifts, and few with the Super Lifts kit, and one with a hybrid RCD kit. Am I missing anyone?

Ill be sure to let everyone know which one I pick.

Just an update. RCD has suspend production because Ford was supposed to terminate the chassis but has now extended production until 2012 and they are currently reevaluating production and cost. Camburug Engineering does not make a kit for the 4WD Ranger or Sport Trac, but do have 2WD if anyone with 2WD is looking. I haven't been able to reach anyone from Dixon Brothers Racing yet. Brenthel Industries said that they no longer and their Chase lift kit in stock, but if at least 5 people get together they will do a limited production run. The cost will be about $1800.00 for each kit. This is the information on their kit:

These Mid travel kits offer your prerunner the maximum performance on or offroad. These kits are designed to be taken offroad. We have not only designed these kits to drive daily on the street but we go to baja so we know what it takes to get you through a 36 hrs day of baja. We eliminate the 1st thing that breaks the majority of the time on any stock or normal lift kit THE BALLJOINTS and replace it with a 1" stainless aircraft bearing (Uniball). Mid travel kit includes 1 year warranty (covers manufacturers defects).

Features:

100% CAD design with 3D CAD files directly from the manuf. to ensure proper fitment.

9-12" of travel

3-5" lift

Parts Included below

Upper Arm

Upright (Not included on 4WD versions)

Uniball to replace ball joint

Upgraded B.I. High performance coil (Not included with coilover trucks)

Bilstein 5100 shock (Not included with coilover trucks)

It seems like the way to go. It dumps the torsion bar and give a coil over all cheaper then a super lift kit

I need 4 others to go in on this with me.

The upper is a Joke to change and does not even require removing the spindle, shock, or any thing... Just poping off the top ball joint nut... I did mine both in my driveway...

Just trying to help you save some money and not get ripped $200+ for something that is $50.00....

It seems you want to go with a lift, then go that route and share pics when done..

Todd Z

Hey Don... You have many different options...... I personally done both the Super Lift kit and the RCD Coil over conversion. I have an 04 ST.... right now I have the Super Lift Kit done and just got finnished doing the coil over conversion.... RCD is not offering the Coil over kit any more BUT you still can get parts of the kit from them. I also replaced the upper control arms while doing this work... the local auto store had them in stock with heavy duty upper ball joints. If you have some time and a ggod place to work with all of you basic tool all of this can be done. I have done all the work to m truck myself (except of the the gears). Just do your homework and deside whaq what you want.

Latest posts