Gen2: V8: High Performance Heads & Cams?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Has anyone performed an aftermarket head swap for the ST 4.6L 3v?

How about a Cam?

Trying to think of everything we can do that will yield us more out of these pretty whimpy 4.6L engines.

I'd probably have a tune edited for a CAM and new Heads?

I'm not familiar with cam and head upgrades, though I'm curious as to your 'whimpy' comment on the 4.6L 3V engines. The best that I have been able to find, is that the Gen2 V8 engine in the ST is substantially the same one that is in the Mustang GT of the same year range. HP rating on the ST is 292, and on the Mustang GT it's 300. While there might be some slight differences, the MAF is the same, as for a short time I installed a C&L Performance intake system from an '08 Mustang GT onto my '08 ST and it ran great with no CEL's. With the weight of the ST and rear gearing you can always use a little more power. :grin:

I guess I give these 4.6 engines a little more support, as the power has increased since they came out in '96 I think it was. It would be great to hear if anyone has done engine mods though. An STA owner on another forum I believe took his 4.6 out, installed a 'built up 5.4" and is working out the kinks of supercharging it.

I thought I while back Bob C. had done some searching in his area for shops doing engine upgrade work. He may have some info to share from that, but I'd have to look back at those posts otherwise.

I bought it about a month ago. I sold my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 and found this one online. My local dealership went and got it for me. Same dealer I bought my 08 Red one from.

My 2010 has a lot more stuff.

I found a local (Lakewood, NJ) hi-po Mustang shop to put a set of Comp Cams in this winter. Thought about the heads, but $$$ may keep me from doing that. Check out fordracingpartsdirect.com, they have a top end kit(heads, cams, intake manifold, throttle body and powdercoated valve covers) for $3700. #M-FR4-S197. They (Ford) guarentees over 400HP with this kit The only thing holding me back is cash, haven't worked in 3+ months.. Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob - did that shop say anything about improving the fuel delivery system (injectors, fuel pump) for doing that type of work, or that stuff was ok at stock? You have the Magnaflow catback system right? Would be nice to hear what a different cam would sound like in a Gen2 V8. :banana:

I installed Ford Racing hot rod cams in mine, shakes more and had to bump the idle speed up to reduce the shake, have some minor issues, being jerky and some CEL's but it is an improvement, was told heads arent worth the money, bc the stock heads are pretty good. I still need to dyno tune my truck with the cams, but currently using a email tune.

Last edited by a moderator:
CT, yeah, he said he would go after the ECM and reprogram it (increase injector pulse width and timing) to allow for the cams. No other changes though. Bob

I really don't think I'd call the 4.6L 3V a wimpy engine. You need to consider the weight of the ST and gear ratios of the diff and the transmission.

Hard for me not to think of it differently after owning a hemi ram. 407 pound feet of tq and 5600 pounds and it still felt like a powerhouse with no limit.

However...that is really the only nice quality in the truck.

It so happens that power is the only thing the ST lacks. It's easier

To mod up horsepower than mod everything else.

I love my new adrenalin and I loved my last one.

Latest posts