Gen2 V8 4x4 survey...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Erickson

Reaction score
Hey, all...

I'm doing my research on buying a 2007 ST V8 4x4, and Consumer Reports flags "Transmission Minor" and "Drive System" as the trouble spots for this model. Specific problems listed include rough shifting, trans slipping, gear selector, trans computer.

Could everyone (that's asking a lot, but what the heck) chime in with their personal experiences in the first ~80,000 miles... no problems? shifting woes? no engagement of 4x2 or 4x4 hi/lo when selected? Feel free to add the resolution info for any problems you had.

Thanks in advance for your input.

'08 XLT 4x4 V8

- 13,000 miles.

- recently experiencing tranny bump stop (known TSB). Some times worse than others. I haven't gone to the dealer yet to have taken care of.

- with stock tranny tune I had experience some flair shifting (others might refer to this as slipping) going from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. This I had rectified with a Torrie xCal custom trans tune.

- 4x4 worked fine during this past winter.

- no other trans\drive system issues to date.

had the transmission TSB, never a problem again.

Never an issue with the 4X4 either.

Recently did the tuner from Torrie and feel the shifting is much firmer and more responsive than without.

Hey Rich,

2008, V8, 4x4

37500 miles

no problems (knock wood)

4x4 is smooth and operates normally

No trannie issues, Slight "bump" when coming to a stop. Use updated trannie tune from Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning. No "bump" at all.

Gas mileage ranges form 14.5mpg to 20.2mpg, on long trips.

Ride, comfort and performance are respectable for this class of vehicle.

Plan on keeping this one for a while, love it! BC

2008 Limited V8 4X4

33900 Miles

Had the "Infamouse" bump when stopping, the TSB fix done at dealer about 15000 mils ago and not a problem since.

Waited 2 years before placing an order for this great truck. I don't regret my decision a bit!

(OK could be a bit better fuel mileage, but I use this as my company vehicle so I only worry on the weekends!)

'07 Limited V8 4x4

Appx 37K miles. Had the TSB done to fix the bump appx 20K miles ago, with zero problems. Had other problems (I've previously doc'd here) -- the fix(es) would have been simple, if it wasn't for the retard mechanics at the dealer. Once the 'bugs' were fixed, have had no problems. I love my trac, and I still get compliments to this day.

had an 07 4X4 V-8 until a little over a year ago.

the lease was up and it had 43K if i remember.

tranny was not what it should be for a $40K plus vevicle.

3 trips back to the dealer and the problem was never resolved.

other then that, a very good vehicle.

'07 ST V8 4X4 XLT

Had the tranny bump but the 2nd TSB update fixed 98 % of my concerns. After my extended warranty is out, I'll get with Torrie and do the whole update thing. I don't know why FORD updates can't be as great as Torrie's are from what I've heard.

No shifter issues although it seems a little loose to me.

4X4 worked great the last 3 winters. It's awesome.

I get 13 - 16 MPG around town and 16 - 23.5 on the highway. Winter MPG is the worse end of the figures. 23.5 from a 2 ton, V-8 4WD 6 passenger truck is awesome as I see it.

I like my ST. Not perfect but very nice vehicle...IMO!

Gary:supercool:

On the tranny bump, here's a link to the TSB I found. I have also posted the pdf to My Library (TrannyBumpTSB.pdf). If it's not the latest one please don't shoot me:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/paynlessauto/2009-09-28_185051_tsb.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
07 XLT V8 34,000 mostly hwy kms

Great Vehicle. I get the transmission bump, but only if I slide thru the intersection. If I come to a complete stop, the transmission resets just fine. Only con is fuel mileage.

'07 V8 4x4. Bought new, now at 44,000 miles.

Tranmission fine. Very slight "bump" going to first gear when stopping, but only occaisionally. Not a real problem.

Transfer case slams HARD into 4WD and makes very loud BANG. Dealer says it is normal. Never have had any problems. 4WD works well and completely automatic.

Front axle pinion seal failed and got it replaced under warranty. Happened on my '03 Adrenalin too.

09 v-8 4x4 bought new in oct 09

tranny bump within the first 1000 miles.

dealer states no tsb for my build date but they reset the computer. (they also mentioned a problem with the explorers doing the same thing)

not completly cured but much better than it was. now it is worse than when i bought it. just over 6000 miles on the truck

no 4 x 4 problems

08 v8 Adrenalin, I have not had the issues others talk about with the tranny as far as the bump goes. I think the way people drive is one determining factor to who has the biggest problems and who doesn't. My only real issue with this transmission is the shift pattern from first to second. However the latest tune I received is much better, I think these guys are almost there.

Mine is not 4X4 so no comments there.

The Trac rides nice and quiet, handles well and has great options. The factory tune for the V8 is very conservative but with the help of a good tuner it will wake up quite nicely. The build quality along with the fit and finish is unsurpassed.

As far as fuel economy goes, if you're buying this type of vehicle fuel economy is not going to be your major concern, if it is get a car period... a small car. These vehicles weigh 5000lbs and will tow 7000lbs. They can carry 5 passengers along with having a cargo area. The cargo area may be small but it is there. You get all of these features along with a quiet, comfortable ride with plenty of interior room.

For all of that I'll live with my 15+ in the city and 20+ on the highway. :banana:

07 V-8 4X4, 22000 miles

Transmission bump, solved under warranty with TSB

Shifter locking in park, solved under warranty with replacement shifter

Independent rear suspension in this truck makes for a nice ride. Have no regrets purchasing this truck.

just seems to be me that this "tranny bump" and shift issues that date back to 07, should be resolved by now. 3 years later and it still is an issue. frustating :angry:

adrinrush,

the way people drive has NOTHING to do with the tranny issue.

2007 gen2 Limited bought 7/3/06 now have about 46550 miles.

Up until recently nothing to report except the tranny bump issue.

Just before bringing it in for a check engine light i started getting an occasional slamming in the tranny under acceleration and sometimes it would just drop out like it went into neutral. Also a leak in the power steering.

The check engine light was the #2 cylinder ignition coil, the power steering leak ended up needing the entire rack of the rack and pinion replaced. the seals were no good. and they reprogrammed the tranny software (powertrain control module).

I told them about the tranny shifting/slamming/slipping issues and they told me that happens sometimes it was going in and out of overdrive. my over 25 years of fixing cars told them its not. they didn't listen.

a couple months later the slamming and slipping is happening way too much and I also had another check engine light pop up.

turns out th echeck engine light was the #7 cylinder ignition coil and the tranny was completely shot. actually they didnt know what was wrong with it but knew that it had to be replaced under the 5 yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. they also reprogrammed the powertrain control module again with the latest software. ended up taking them 19 days but thats another story.

i just got it back late yesterday. i now feel a very slight shudder under light acceleration on the highway, not if I give it a lot of gas though. Also I don't have the pick up I did before the tranny replacement and software flash. dont know what the outcome will be. I have not gone back yet since today is Sat and tomorrow is sunday. i guess they will want it back to torture me more.

oh yeah. i replaced 3 of the 4 lock actuators.

other than this crap the truck is pretty good. the gas mileage sucks big time but what do you want from a truck? averaging 10 mpg with a mix of driving. yes i said 10 mpg. best on all highway driving on a long trip was 16-17 mpg.

i dont get here much anymore. email me if you have something to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
'07 V-8 4X4, 58,000 miles, bought new in 10-06. Had the tranny TSB done 30k ago and no issues since. The only other problem I had with this truck is the back window motor. Had two replaced, Ford said they had a bad batch and I got two of them, otherwise no problems and love the truck, averaging overall around 19mpg city and highway. My only other issue will be when I have the spark plugs changed. Love the truck and plan on wearing it out.