Gen2 Complete Brake Fluid Swap/Bleed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter V

Reaction score
Has anyone bled their braking system yet or completely swapped out the OEM brake fluid? If so, was there any noticeable difference in brake feel/power. I believe it's a known issue, but the Gen2 brakes feel very soft and require more force than I am use too. I'd like to replace the brake fluid with some Racing Blue that I have laying around.

Yup, On 4 so far.

Used Valvoline synthetic brake fluid....

HUGE difference,,,,,

Todd Z

I completely replace fluid and bleed once a year. keeps the pedal firm, and at 240,000, I have all original brake calibers and master cylinders- changing fluid gets rid of the moisture that can freeze up components...

Yes, you need to flush your brake fluid at least every 2-3 years. Flushing brake fluid every year may be overkill, but will certainly keep your brakes working for a long, long time.

I usually recommend that you flush your brake fluid at least with every brake job (front, rear, or both) That usually works out to about every 2-3 years for me, but varies by how much YOU drive or the weather conditions where you drive. If you can get 4+ years on a brake job, then definitely do a fluid flush at least every 2 or 3 years.

And yes, it will improve your braking power if you had not changed your fluid in a long time, If you change the fluid regularly over the life of the vehicle, the fluid will be not deterioration as much and you may not notice any difference...which is a good thing since shows that your Preventive Maintenance works. :grin:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback. I am replacing my fluids next week once the new speedbleeder bolts arrive. I'll be running the "banded" Blue brake fluid. :grin:

I am replacing my fluids next week once the new speedbleeder bolts arrive.

Just a heads up if you are using the Russell or Dorman speed bleeders. Their tapered seats are pointed where the OEM

screws are blunt tipped. They may need to be over tightened to seal properly, and it's very easy to strip the caliper threads.

Eddie- I'm using the Dorman 12701 bleeders because they were a gift from the mainland without a receipt. Ground the pointed tips to match the OEM. They work fine.

Two people is the BEST way.....

Speed bleeders suck......

Todd Z