Gen II K&N intake problem!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
Just had the trac at the dealer for bad mileage and cool air from the vents with everything shut off. Problem: The cone filter was rubbing against a wiring harness that runs under the old airbox. Please check yours to see if this is happening, if so, reinsulate the wires, tape the whole bundle up and attach it right up against the inner fender liner. This is the fix that Ford used, after charging me for a non-warranty(filter) problem. Oh well, Bob

Sorry to hear that Bob. Back when I had my K&N installed, there were no wires close to my filter. Hard to picture which harness it could have been, but I know the warning will be appreciated by all who have that mod installed. :driving:

Even when stock. I look for rub points. Tie wraps plasctic protectors or split hose covers. The factory never looks at those issues. I keep my cars along time. So I look for those wear points.

yup yup this happened to me, it fried the AWD module in the tranncky, but lucky me got that covered under warranty, but had to for the mechanic to soder the wires back, and braced the intake tube, hunk a junk!

That happened to me too... I lost all power options in the vehicle though... couldnt figure it out for a while but I noticed that it was low and hitting the wiring so I just got some washers and put it under the intake tube and the bracket that holds it to the engine block... haven't had a problem since.

Latest posts