Gen 2 STA: Cargo Bed Lighting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
I did a search but all that came up were 3rd brake light threads.

I know I've seen some posts on here about LED lighting for the cargo bed. I just can't find them.

I have the factory hard cover. At night when I open the tail gate, I can't see anyhing. I'd really like to put a light in there that comes on via switch or, better yet, comes on automatically when the tailgate is open.

Do you know of a product that could do this?

RECON makes the kit.....

I have sold about 8 kits...

Todd Z

How 'bout installing one of these? It's about $7 at most auto parts stores. You could wire it right into the 12VDC in the bed. It has a push-button switch built in, but I'm sure you could rig up a switch that allows it to come on when either the tailgate or tonneau cover is opened.

8382918838c45a478190b0cd95be962f._.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest getting one or two LED reverse illumination lamps. Install on the flat area above each wheel well in the bed, and tap the wiring that powers the exterior bed lamp. The nice things about them are they mount flush, so you don't have bed extrusions, and because they're LED, they have a low power draw relative to incandescent lamps (which allows you to tap existing wiring and forget).

[Broken External Image]:

(Imagine the surround in black.)

Another (linked below). This one has an integrated push on-off switch.

The truck/trailer lighting suppliers have every conceivable lighting style you can think of, so it really comes down to what you want. The install of any of them is the same.

83aafb2fe0ea4d6c8c28afe426398c41.jpg

I used the Recon Cargo/Bed lighting in mine . . .

I installed a toggle switch on my console, ran 14 gauge wires behind the dash, along the side paneling, out from the bottom of the cab, cut holes in the bed for the light casings, ran the wires between the fenders and bed, pushed the casings half way through, glued, set & reassembled the truck . . . end result is a clean factory-looking install!

The most difficult part was removing & reinstalling the undercarriage (wheel wells).

I deviated from the project that I mimicked (Aaron Lyon), where he installed the clusters through the tail lights, using a snake instead of removing the wheel wells.

I've had it in for over a year and a half and absolutely love it . . . plenty of light, no hanging wires, etc. My only complaint is that this is the second Recon product I've owned and both have had a cluster of bulbs go out on me . . . Three times on my 3rd brake light & once on the bed light. Luckily, I only used 6 of the 8 clusters, so when I find the time, I left enough slack to do a replacement.

Below is my original post . . .

I took 50-60 pics along the process, but never got around to doing the write-up.

Feel free to email me if you need any pics or pointers . . . good luck!

I have done this project to 2 of my Trac's. Search "Bed Lighting" in the projects and Scott Heckler. has a great project step by step. I followed that except I used LEDs because I like the lower profile and power consumption. LED's can be found all over the web - pick out what you like. On my current ST I used a strip along the back and one strip on each side of the bed.

The major difference in my 2 projects was the power source. On the 1st ST I used the 3rd brake light as outlined and it was super convenient. I could use the remote to unlock the doors - which would illuminate the 3rd brake light and thus the light in the bed. I did find one small inconvenience - I could not make the light stay on while I drove without turning on the cab interior lights (using the panel dimmer). I would occasionally transport my dogs in cages under the hard cover and would illuminate it so they would be more comfortable.

So on the second ST (my current) I hard wired power right from the auxiliary power in the bed and put a nice small button just to the side of the taillight (between the tailgate and the body of the truck). This way I can turn them on and off easily when I open the tailgate and even leave them on for extended periods without worrying about the power drain (LEDs are great!).

Sorry - no pics yet, I need to get this into the projects as well.

Dave

I bought a $8 led magnetic base from walmart. Plugs to power port. I can extend the wire 6ft and point it where I need. the back side has flashing red leds for emergencys. Been good for me.

Kevin,

That seems like alot of work for a switch for your bed lights in your console do the Gen 2 ST's not have the power outlet in the bed? I installed the Recon lights in my bed as well but put the toggle switch next to the power outlet, and only had to run wires that were about 6" long to my toggle switch, since power was right there to tap into.

Try autolumination.com or superbrightleds.com for all kinds of lights. They have kits for in bed lighting. Its on my list of to-do's, just have to find a way to turn them on when the cover or tailgate are opened. Bob

I too would be interested in the difficulty of installation of the recon kit. How does it turn on? I would just like a switch on it. I assume you can swap the white LEDs for Red ones? Don't want to ruin night vision.

Recon lighting is simple to install. I got my kit from Todd, and installed it in about an hour or 2. But I removed the top plastic rails on the bed to hide the wires. I then put a toggle switch next to the power outlet in the bed and tapped into the wiring to get my power. And the lights are bright!!! They light up the bed perfectly and the surrounding area.

But I removed the top plastic rails on the bed to hide the wires.

Chad,

How do the top rails come off? I need to remove my driver's side one to have better access to a seized tie-down bolt.

Latest posts