gen 2 rear springs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd sure would like to stiffen the rear springs (not a lot but just to help it when towing) of my 2008 XLT 4.4 but haven't been able to find any company that makes them. Even something to help them under load would be nice.

I towed back to NY from Florida and though it didn't have a problem and handled and rode fine, it just wasn't sitting in the back as I'd like it. The trailer is only about 2000 lbs. tongue weight of maybe 200 lbs. Rear of the truck was packed and about 400 lbs. of passengers.

Anyone run across someone who makes a stiffer rear coil or a helper spring to stiffen them up a bit. I couldn't even find any of the air assist systems that are made for it.

Thanks.

Steve

Have you thought about the spring inserts. The ones that you twist in with a 1/2" ratchet. They will stop the compresion of the coil they are in. Take them back out when not towing.

Eddie, NO way...... I find them on the sides of the roads all the time !!! LOL

I would see what a spring shop can do, but I wonder if a 1 inch lift block would do the trick?

Just a thought......

Todd Z

Hmmmm...I find that real interesting. Check out these photos (although a little grainy) of my 07 V8 ST w/my bike club's 24ft enclosed trailer hooked up. I don't remember what the tongue weight is but it's at least 500 and probably a bit more. Anyway, sagging is minimal and even going down the road I don't have excessive drooping on the rear end. [Broken External Image]:

Red...if it was just my trailer I doubt it would be an issue. My camper is just a 13 ft. Scamp and the tongue weight is probably 150-200 lbs. BUT...I have a topper on the bed and it was loaded to the to the max, but don't know what the weight of all the stuff was...maybe 500-600 lbs.

My preferecence would be for the truck to be level when loaded and sit up some more when empty. My 2001 was easy, just added a leaf to the rear springs.

Eddie...yes, I agree with Todd, those things fall out easily. A spring rubber might work if I can find one that would fit it.

Todd...yes, a local spring shop is my next stop, probably some time this week and see what they have to say.

By the way, I got 14.5 mpg over 1160 miles towing from Florida to NYS. 70-75 mph most of the way. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it it what it is.

Thanks.

Steve

Just fyi...talked to my local spring shop and the same one who installed the extra leafs for me in my 01. They said they could have MOOG build some springs for me, costing in the 600-800 range including install. The other option suggested was a lift kit. The only one I can find for it is made by Truxx (#102010). It would raise the rear 1.25 inches which is about what I'd like. I think I'd leave the front alone. Price isn't too bad, available for $282. from AutoAnything.

It wouldn't stiffen the spring, I realize, but it would sit level when loaded at least. He also said a spring rubber would work IF I could find one that fit the coil. My guess is that would be unlikely. He also advised that the "twist-in" helpers would kink the coil over time and to avoid them.

Thanks.

Steve

Yes I had it installed and it works perfectly. Raised the rear about an inch and 1/2 and left the front as is. Gives the truck a slight raise front to back but not excessive. With the bed fully loaded and when trailoring the truck is perfectly level.

Steve

Not that it matters at this point but I installed Rancho Quick Lift spring/shock assemblies on all four corners of my 07 ST 4x4. The catalogs all say they are not made to fit the Sport Trac but I used the part numbers listed for the Explorer and they fit fine. I no longer have any tire rubbing issues when towing my 18 foot enclosed car hauler. I am running BFG 265/65/18 All-Terrain T/As. The shocks are also 9-way adjustable and the ride and handling are much improved over stock even when not hauling a heavy load or towing.

Latest posts