Gen 2 Dash Display

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
I know it's really cold out and all, but my Trac seems to not be running warm enough. Temp gauge only goes 1/4 of the way up no matter how long it runs and it seems that the heater used to be warmer. I seem to recall that someone found a service dept way in to the dash display that shows the actual engine temp along with a digital rpm display and some other stuff but I can't remember how to get to it. If anybody remembers, I'd appreciate it before I take it to the dealer or other shop. Super busy the next week so thanks in advance if I don't get back to ya'll right away.

Pick up or borrow an infared temperature gun and compare temps with other vehicles. Probably fairly inexpesive at Harbor Freight. :driving:

It could be that your thermostat is not working correctly. If it's staying open then the engine's not going to come up to temp and you'll get anemic heat. You can take out the thermostat and test it, but I'd be inclined to just replace it and make sure I had serviceable coolant.

Same thing happened to my '07 Mustang, stat was stuck open. It actually gave me an error code before I repaired it.

I have noticed that when I give it the boot to pass someone or go up a hill that the temp gauge rises. I was guessing the t-stat was stuck open too but it's been too cold to work on it and I had an 8 day on-campus lab class* for the past week and no time to work on it. I do recall a method to get the dash display to show the actual coolant temp, even ran across it myself one day by accident, but couldn't remember how to get to it. Also the wife got me a code reader for my birthday a few months ago, haven't used it yet, but I will see if it will give a temp reading.

* At age 52 I have started mortician school to have a marketable skill in order to move to Florida where I don't have to worry about t-stats being stuck open and no heat. I already have an MBA but now I am getting an associates degree to make more money. Life is funny that way.

I ended up getting a new t-stat. Temp gauge is now rock solid in the middle all the time. The old one was closed when I removed it so I put it in a pot of water on the stove and it only opened a tiny bit when the water was boiling. Probably what little coolant was flowing was going through the bypass.

Latest posts