gear shift selector hard to shift

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les C

Reaction score
any suggestions on why my son's 2005 ST [auto trans.] gear shift selector is hard to shift w/foot on or off brake?

Les, With foot on or off the brake, would indicate that the brake has nothing to do with the hard shifting. Are you talking about coming out of park while on a hill? If the truck rolls after putting it in park, it will hang up. I have found that putting on the parking brake before releasing the foot break is best. If I misunderstand your situation, I apologies maybe someone else will see better.

God bless Ed

Ed,

The problem is when his ST is in park & he's started it & goes to put it in [any] gear it's won't shift into a gear @ times, be it R or D, etc.

Thanks,

Les

I think it was mentioned on here before. There are some bolts under the dash, that come loose or fall out. something to do with the column. I think it was reported to mess up the shifter.

sounds like the shift solenoid. i had to put it in neutral then start the truck for awhile then found out if i played with the tilt steering it started working no more trouble.