Gas Tank Skid Plate purchase

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becker69 CO

Reaction score
OK, I have been through this issue before, but I wondered if (besides ordering from a Ford Parts counter at a dealership) anyone knows where I can get a gas tank skid plate, specifically for an 01 ST? How much? I have tried searching using the part number from the 'Aftermarket Parts' page... and it got me into trouble and I ended up with a skid plate for a Sport. :(

Any info would be appreciated... I need one for an upcoming trip to Moab.

The one for the Sport should work just fine. It may not be exactly the right shape, I cannot confirm nor deny this, but it'll be close enough to work.

A skid plate for an 02 Ranger FX4 or 03+ FX4 Level II should work as well.

The part # for the one I bought for my '01 is F57Z*9A147*B. It's also in my fuel tank skid plate project. Price is... or was... $138. Good luck!

I have an extra one I bought and then found out I had a factory installed one. If you want it I will make a really good deal for you. Say $25.00 plus shipping? I don,t have any bolts or instructions though. Send me an E-mail if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the part number listed in the project also but it was for a 2 door Explorer Sport and did not fit. Too short. The dealer dug around a little on the computer and ordered a different one, cost about $270. It is not metal but made of very thick composite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my post from way back:

Finally got the fuel tank skidplate installed today. Had the dealer do it because it's snow, rain, and cold outside. Only one hour of labor, meaning they probably did it in less.

Originally I ordered the F57Z*9A147*B skidplate. Assuming that's what they actually ordered, it didn't fit, at least on my '05. They told me it was for an Explorer Sport and not a Sport Trac. It was the thin sheetmetal as described in the Member Project, but that project is dated 2002. Me and their head tech (alright guy, he builds street rods too) sit down with the parts guy and come up with newer listings. A bunch more $pendy too.

The skidplate I did get is made of extreeeemly heavy composite and not stamped sheetmetal. I'll take pics when the weather gets better, but you oughtta see this sucker. Covers the whole tank very nicely.

Part numbers:

2L2Z9A147AA Skidplate (1) $270.39

W505444S436 Bolt and Washer (2) $7.86

W506434S436 Bolt (1) $3.15

W506526S426 Bolt (1) $13.03

W520113S436 Nut-Hex (1) $ 2.28

W520834S426 Nut-Spring (3) $12.06

Actually, the list on it was $166 and some change. I get a good deal from my local Ford dealer. But the metal one I have is pretty thick stamped metal, and it covers the entire fuel tank, so the one you got wasn't the same, for sure!

And I remember reading your post, too...

Eldon, I can't email you on the computer I'm on... don't ask it's a convoluted story :( But I will email you tomorrow, and if you can guarantee that it will fit an 01 sport trac I'll be on it! Thank you for your generosity...I'll mail you with an offer.

Thank you all for the replies and help and if Eldon's available one isn't gonna work (Ian my post wasn't on the 'for sale/wanted' board so I don't know if first come 1st served applies :( ) I will order the part listed by you all. Thanks again for the intel all of you, it has turned out to be an elusive part to get and fit correctly.

Douglas.

Eldon, you have mail :)

Sorry, I use comcast for email and not MS Outlook... so sometimes sending emails without comcast open is difficult. I hope the skid plate is still available. Thanks!

Latest posts