Gas prices finally drop

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
CNNMoney.com

Gas remains under $4 a gallon continues to fall

Monday July 28, 7:44 am ET

By Kenneth Musante, CNNMoney.com staff writer

Gas prices declined for the 11th straight day on Monday, falling to a level not seen since May, according to a nationwide survey of filling station credit card swipes. Other fuel prices also continued to fall.

i thought i over heard someone say that natural gas had something to do with this decline... but i haven't done any further investigating. anyone heard anything along those lines?

The laws of supply and demand are working. The higher prices have forced both individuals and business to find ways to consume less fuel. Using less has caused supplies to go up and prices to come down.

Many say that without speculators gas would be $2/gallon. Even recent declines are reported to be largely caused by a speculation in much reduced usage expected in 2009.

The role of supply and demand, rather than speculation, has long been considered the prime reason for rising oil prices - and still is by many - but speculation has gained increased notice in recent years.

As the 2006 Senate report observed, "U.S. oil inventories are at an eight-year high, and OECD oil inventories are at a 20-year high. Accordingly, factors other than basic supply and demand must be examined."

Chief among those is speculation, the report stated.

Read more here:

Guess we have seen the worse for this year (knock on wood). $3.89 a gallon was the most I ever paid. I'm sure that will seem cheap in another year or so.

I just filled up my van for $3.51 (cash) in Florence,,, Sumter is still $3.59

Last edited by a moderator:
Kewl, now I'll be able to buy an extra coke at work tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Prices are holding at 3.85 in my town.....a ten cent drop. :)

Sort of an upside to the gas crunch

Gas has dropped 11cents in my local this week, 40 cents in the past 3 weeks.

Still work a couple days a week, my commute has been cut by 25 Mins (no traffic)

americans drove 9 Billion less miles in the past month as opposed to the same period a yr ago.

Gotta be good for air quality.

Found it sort of funny today,many more cars in the carpool lanes, moves about as fast as the reg lanes.

Crude keeps dropping, and the dollar is gaining strength. This is good for America.:)

Oil hits 7-week low on demand worries, dollar gain

Tuesday July 29, 2:21 pm ET

By Stevenson Jacobs, AP Business Writer

Oil prices tumble to 7-week low as demand worries grow, US dollar strengthens

NEW YORK (AP) -- Oil prices tumbled to their lowest level in seven weeks Tuesday as a stronger dollar and beliefs that record prices are eroding the world's thirst for energy sparked another dramatic sell-off.

The drop -- as much as $4 a barrel during the day -- was a throwback to oil's nosedive over the past two weeks and outweighed supply concerns touched off by a militant attack Monday on two Nigerian crude pipelines. It was oil's seventh decline in the last 10 sessions.

Light, sweet crude for September delivery fell $1.89, or 1.52 percent, to $122.84 a barrel in early afternoon trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Earlier, prices fell to $120.42, the lowest level for a front-month contract since June 10; they have now fallen more than $25 from their trading high of $147.27, reached July 11.

More concerns that crude's run-up over the past year has pushed prices to unsustainable levels fed Monday's decline. The U.S. Transportation Department said Monday that U.S. drivers logged 9.6 billion fewer vehicle miles in May -- or 3.7 percent -- compared to the same period last year, the biggest drop ever for the historically busy summer driving month.

And demand for oil in the U.S. -- the world's thirstiest consumer -- continues to fall, dropping by 891,000 barrels per day in May compared the same month a year ago, the Energy Department's Energy Information Administration said Monday.

"We're seeing both statistical and anecdotal evidence of very rapidly weakening demand picture," said Jim Ritterbusch, president of energy consultancy Ritterbusch and Associates in Galena, Ill.

The declines accelerated after oil briefly dipped below $122, a key resistance level that triggered technical selling by computers programed to dump oil contracts once prices fall below a certain threshold. The next technical level traders are watching is $117.

"I think we could see $117 a barrel in a one-week time frame, and this market could eventually get to $100," Ritterbusch said.

Also weighing on prices was a sharply stronger dollar compared to the euro, which made commodities less attractive to investors who have bought oil futures as a hedge against inflation and weakness in the U.S. currency.

The euro bought $1.5557 compared with $1.5752 late Monday in New York.

"It looks like oil is selling off today with the very, very strong dollar and nothing to drive it higher. Quiet seems to be bearish these days," said Tom Kloza, publisher and chief oil analyst at Oil Price Information Service in Wall, N.J.

In a further sign high prices are curbing Americans' consumption for fuel, retail gas prices fell further below the $4-a-gallon mark. The average price of a regular gas fell 1.7 cents to $3.941, according to auto club AAA, the Oil Prices Information Service and Wright Express.

Monday's attack in Nigeria targeted two pipelines believed to be owned by a unit of Royal Dutch Shell PLC and was the latest in a two-year campaign of attacks on the country's oil industry. Shell said a pipeline had been damaged in attacks and that some crude production had been shut down to prevent the oil from spilling into the environment.

The oil company said Tuesday it may not be able to fulfill some oil-export contracts because of the damage. Shell didn't specify how much oil production was cut by the attack or how long repairs would take.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta says it is acting to force the Nigerian federal government to send more oil industry funds to the southern region, which produces

Gas just dropped another 10 cents in my town.....filled up the truck yesterday and paid 3.75 a gal. That's a 20 cent per gal savings compared to just a few weeks ago. :D

I hope it continues to drop.

Last night, I literally saw a gas station sign lower the price from $3.79 to $3.69. Just last week, that same station was selling 87 octane for around $4.10/gallon.

News report last night was that the high gas prices are causing enough people to drive less, that it's causing a number of road construction/improvement projects to be cancelled. Less driving = fewer gallons of gas puchased = fewer tax dollars taken in on the gas purchases = less money for highway improvements.