GAS MILEAGE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Flood

Reaction score
What are you guys getting as far as mpg? I am getting about 14-16 and i think that is a little low..? Any help on what i need to get better gas mileage would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Blake

Hi Blake - there are many things you can do to increase the mpg of the trac.

Change out the OEM exhaust.

Replace the intake.

Get an Xcal2 with a tune from one of our sponsors.

Keep your right foot off of the front bumper.

That is the short list . . . .

An 07 should get better mileage due to it is geared better then the Gen 1...

Being that you have an 01, Maintenance is a key, and as Scott said, drive like an old man helps...

Rachel gets 18-21 in the 04 Adren, I got 15...

My 03 with me driving it gets 15mpg, Rachel drives it and it is almost 22 mpg...

Todd Z

Or you can put all the mods on I did and get great performance and pretty good mileage. I average 17 - 18.

I'm not going to get back what I put into the trac in gas savings :lol::lol::lol: The trac is just too much fun to drive . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Blake,

I get my best mileage when I drive like my grandmother. Also, keeping the tires properly inflated is a big factor. My mileage over 18,000 miles, has averaged 17.41 mpg. Lowest was 14, and highest was 20. I have a 2003 4X4 with 4.10 axle, Check the site's MPG log for some good stats.

I'm down to ~13.8 - 14.8mpg of late. I'm not putting as many highway miles and been using the AC.

I have aftermarket intake and exhaust. Using an XCal2 performance tune with 87octane, 04, 2WD, 4.10LSD, ~45K miles. And, oh yeah, I tend to drive with a lead foot (green = go right away).

Based on a mechanic's recommendation, I added some Lucas octane booster to a tank of gas recently and have been averaging 19 since then (mostly highway). Not bad...the best I've ever gotten was 21 and that was solid highway a couple of times. I have an 05 4X2 XLT with the 4.10 axle.

The Lucas stuff helped get rid of a pinging sound and helped eliminate a rough start...I don't know how long one bottle will last but so far, it's been worth it.

About 13-14 around town, 19-20 highway. I have 3.73 gears and threw on 32" tires immediately after buying it, so it's turning about 2200 rpm at 75 mph.

'03 XLT Premium w/4.10 gears, 265/75/16 tires (slightly larger), and K&N intake

I get an average 16 mpg mixed. Have gotten 21 mpg once when driving on the rural coutry highways in NC where the cops were plenty and the limit was 55.

Your mileage is not all that bad compared to some Sport Trac’s, however it’s important to not that all mileage figures give for any vehicle are usually qualified with the words “Your mileage may vary”.

There are many reasons why your mileage may vary. Some you can do something about, and many others you cannot.

What you can do to help your gas mileage:

1. Driving habits. Don’t use jackrabbit starts and then jam on the brakes for the next traffic light.

2. Reduce friction and roll-resistancve: Keep your engine in tune, filters clean and your tires inflated properly, and use the thinnest oil that is compatible with your engine. Synthetics are best in the engine, transmission, and rear axle.

3. Reduce the weight. If you carry a lot of junk in your truck or the bed, clean it out. Carrying extra weight requires more HP and gas to accelerate and maintain a constant speed.

4. Avoid traffic jams by driving at odd hours when possible. I find that leaving on a trip at 11:00 or 12:00 at night and driving all night when there is little or no traffic on the road allows me to maintain my cruising speed for hours without having to touch the brake.

What you cannot control:

1. Heavy Traffic. Especially if you live and work in or near a large city. The Sport Trac is heavy and will use significantly more gas going from traffic light to traffic light than cruising down the highway. The more times you have to slow down and speed up, the more gas you will burn

2. Terrain: Hilly country eats more gas and going up hill eats more gas than you save when going down hill.

3. Weather: Rain, snow, and temperature extremes are not good for maximum mileage

Things that can help but cost extra include, free flow exhaust, intakes, and tuner modules. Most are designed to produce more HP, but if you use them wisely you can improve your MPG. These items tend to be much more expensive and their expense may not offset or justify the gas savings.

Things that can help but cost extra include, free flow exhaust, intakes, and tuner modules. Most are designed to produce more HP, but if you use them wisely you can improve your MPG. These items tend to be much more expensive and their expense may not offset or justify the gas savings.

D'oh!

I got a 2003 ST 3 months ago, it had 12,300 miles when i bought it.

Added a dual pipe outlet Magnaflow catback.

SCT Excal 2 with a 89 Perform Tune

AirAide Cold air intake

Royal Purple 5/30 in the engine

Highway cruise last week to Daytona Beach had a 22.9 MPG with a few (5-6) stops at idle for several minutes.

Be careful on how you determine your MPG. Fill up at the same pump, and bring the fuel all the way up to the restrictor plate at the top to make sure you know exactly what you burned.

Next up is a Throttle body and MAF and I will be done for the MPG upgrades.

Rick

Latest posts