Gas guage!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean OShea

Reaction score
I just bought a used 94 today, and I LOVE it...was always jealous of my dad's. I'm having a problem with the fuel guage, however... Just filled it up, and my low fuel light came on. Turned off the key, and re-started and this time it said 1/4 tank. Anyone else have a problem like this? I'm hoping it's not a sign of anything more serious than a bad guage.

Welcome to the site !!!!

We have many members with explorers not just sport Tracs...

My 04 is now doing the same thing, But if you turn the key off and on it goes to the proper level...

Time to drop the tank !!!

Todd Z

Yeah, maybe I shoulda said O4! Mine only goes up to a quarter when I turn the key off and on... I don't wanna drop the tank! :smile0001:

I would guess a bad float or bad sending unit itself..

Some of the older floats were copper and soldered together. The seam would leak and allow fuel into the float, thus,,, it would not float,, LOL

Though I believe the Track no longer uses a metal float, the premise is the same. If the float is ok and acts like a bobber, then I would think it is the sending unit.

Years ago, on my '65 Mustang, the gas gauge would only read 1/2 full when full, so I bought a new sender. Dropped the tank, pulled the old sender out along with a spring that goes around the end of the gas pump nozzle!!! Went ahead and replaced the sender as the azzhat at the local Classic Mustang store wouldn't refund the money because it was an electrical item, even though it had never been out of the stapled box!! Needless to say, they're out of business.

Anyone know if this would apply under the implied warranty in the State of AZ? I am going to go back in tonight to ask if they will repair it, and I would like to be prepared...reading the contract details is not helping, I don't know the legal definitions of things like "merchantability". Just wondering what to expect, and what my rights are... thanks for all the previous and future suggestions!!!

Check the electrical connections and the ground wire, on the sending unit. Might be the connector on the dash pc board.

The instrument cluster has a slosh circuit in it. I don't really know if it's separate like they used to be or an integral part of the circuitry. Mine floats up and down with the curves like my old Monte Carlo's did in the 70's!

It was the sending unit! The dealer replaced it for me without any argument or wait, even tho it was purchased "as is" with lots of miles on it. So kudos to the good folks at Earnhardt's here in AZ!