gas guage showing full

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My gas gauge will show completely full (actually looks way past full) when it isn't. Sometimes it does this for the entire day....and next day it may work properly. Has been doing this for a couple of months now. Any ideas on problem and cost? THanks

Sending unit would be my guess. I have no idea what the cost for changing one is though!!

I know it may sound weird, but while putting gas in your tank, do you have the key in the ignition and in the "On" position? If your truck is put in the "On" position at any time during a fill up, your gas gauge will go up and down very slowly for a few days and not give you an accurate reading. It's happened to me and a few others here, so that may be the problem. Other than that, I wouldn't know.

Good luck.

Most of the ST fuel gauges are a Full Favor... They show full for longer then the tank is actually full...

But the gauge sticking, OR sitting, jumping could be an issue, BUT i know they way i drive and the sloshing in the tank plays havoc with it.... IT takes the truck to sit in a lot or on my driveway to then level out other wise I don't trust the gauge till the next day..

Also parking on a slight incline or decline will throw the gauge off...

Todd Z

Latest posts