Gas Gauge Troubles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lovell

Reaction score
I know others on this site have had the same issue I am having and I have went back looked at the other posts but I still have questions. The last 2 times that I filled my ST with fuel the gas gauge doesn't go back to full, it goes back to where it was before I filled up. After getting home and shutting the ST on and off a couple times, either it goes back to where I was before I filled or it gives me the "Low Fuel" light. I do shut off the ST and pull the keys when I fill so I know that is not the issue. I did recently have a friend put some Lucas gas treatment in the tank, so i don't know if that could have caused the problem? What have others done to resolve the issue? I have seen about running sea-foam, or even replacing something in the gas tank. It doesn't seem to affect the drivability but is getting annoying!! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
MY 04 needed a new sender in the tank.....

Todd Z

My 03 ST guage does just the opposite. It registers full initially then when it gets to about 1/4 full (or 3/4 empty depending on your philosophy) it starts acting up - bottoms out when I go uphill then slowly adjusts back up when I descend. I drive to Cabo every year and there is one particularly hairy stretch--very mountainous--where there are no gas stations (thank God for the 22.5 gal tank). Before I knew of this problem, I foolishly skipped topping off the tank in Jesus Maria and continued north in 110 degree heat with a fully loaded truck, probably averaging about 12 mpg at best, watching my gauge bottom out then creep back up regularly, grinding my teeth with visions of being stranded with my dog in the middle of nowhere. Finally limped into El Rosario on fumes. It's just one of those quirks you live with like the left turn signal that doesn't work when the steering wheel is in full down tilt position.

Just started happening to me in my '04 XLT Trac. Very bothersome. Any ideas for a fix?

Thanks.

Do you fill up with the truck running?

I had this issue happen alot when I used to fill it with the truck still running during the winter.

Normally would work after acouple of restarts later in the day.

Whit

Gas gage on my 2003 got squirrely a few years ago. For some reason I wiggled the wires around at the connection on the fuel tank, and it quit doing it.

Now the biggest problem I have with the gage is how much it costs to make it go up again!

Here's another victim of the fuel gauge gremlin... Mine has generally read right, but a few times it drops to E and gives the low tank warning. I jsut filled up and drove home alst night and it was fine but out in it this morning and it shows empty. Now 35 miles on a tank would be really bad mileage so I don't belive the gauge. Left the key on for 5 minutes and it came back to 1/8 tank and light goes out. Had it do similar problesm right after fillups too. Once it took about 20 miles to come up.

How hard is it to pull the sender? is it part of the pump? can it be doen without dropping the tank?

Latest posts