Gas Cap Door

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy G

Reaction score
I tried searching, but no luck. My gas cap door is loose. I think the spring broke. Is this something I can fix, or should i just go with plan B and use velco? Should I even be worried, it seems to stay closed...

Tammy,

Ford updated the part to a better part due to this problem. You can replace the door but painting it can be a pain.....

May just want to do the Velcro trick....

Todd Z

Thanks.

Are you saying I have to replace the whole door to fix the problem? I'm not doing that. I thought maybe I could replace the spring.

Velcro it is!

No color matching is required since Ford sells the fuel door assemblies already painted in the factory colors.

Bacl in 2000, they fuel door was replaced by Ford because they would damage the paint when they opened and hit the side of the truck.

...Rich

If you can get one prepainted, get it and consider yourself lucky. The prepainted doors have been discontinued by Ford for some time now and must now be painted to match your vehicle.

Rodger,

OK, now that explains why everyone is talking about painting the fuel doors now. I did not know that Ford discontinued the prepainted ones? The pre-[ainted ones may have been made only that first year to allow for quick dealer replacements when the originals on the 2001-Job1's were damaging the paint on the rear fender.

...Rich

On my former 03 one of the little rubber bumpers went missing and the door would rattle. Got a replacement at the dealer and it took care of the problem.

Rod

I wonder if something like this would fit? The ST is not mentioned in the Ford models it fits (only the F-Series trucks), but you might give the comapny a call.

[Broken External Image]:

http://www.solidbydesign.com/sbd/

Let us know how you come out. I like the look of these doors and will be interested if they will work on an ST.

Latest posts