Gas Cans?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
I remember seeing "gas caddys", gas containers with wheels that held up to ~13 gallons of gas. Some of 'em even had a "gas pump" like nozzle that used air pressure to work. I remember seeing these things in Harbor Freight and Pep Boys years ago, but I can't seem to find 'em now. Am I just imagining these?

I have some old metal 5 gallon cans that work well enough, but now I'm finding myself needing larger amounts of gas that I need to take further. I tried getting some new gas cans, but they're all these cheap plastic "cans" that are useless. They're all branded as being "eco friendly", something I don't get as gas easily leaks out between the threads on the nozzle screw attachment.

Yeah, I bought 15 of the new eco-friendly cans( two different designs) to store gas for my generator. I don't know what world the EPA influenced engineers live in but these new cans suck! The idea was to avoid putting vapors into the air. Well. they sit there and build up pressure and release it all into the atmosphere once you depress the handle. Then. they are so cumbersome and you have to be a contortionist on one type of design that you end up spilling more than with the old cans with the spout and rubber cork. One of the designs is OK but the other is just plain crap! Next time I'll buy them at garage sales.

I have the duramax 14gal from pep-boys. The pump handle, works like a siphon. You have to pump the hanle to get it going. PITA. I got me a shelf to put it on for gravity flow.

After 2 years the rubber connection inside the handle started leaking.

So I took it apart and epoxied a nipple and hose clamped some new hose in it. The plastic hose it comes with isnt very flexable.

I store fresh 30gallons every hurricane season. For my generator. I was using sta-bil. This year I used lucas stabilizer with a methanol conditioner.

Even 10% methanol wreaks havoc on small engines. Crap corodes the carburators and destroys the fuel lines.

As an FYI, it is recomended that you use methenol stabilizer for you lawn mower, weed eater, blower etc. Mower repair shops are selling, new formula fuel lines, because of methenol. Also if you small engine dont have a shut off valve. Install one and let it run out of fuel. You wont have carb problems from the fuel.

After reading the reviews, I don't think these caddys are for me. They won't make fueling the tanks I need any easier.

I would settle for a solid, quality tank that doesn't leak when the gas sloshes in the tank.

Many folks in my neighborhood use those type of cans to transport gas from the station to their boats. Its way cheaper to get gas on land than buying it at the marina.. I've even seen one with a rotating crank pump on top to fill the boat. Shop around, But look in some of the marine stores. BoatUS, West Marine, etc. to name a few. Bob

Latest posts