FYI on new Explorer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x x 4

Reaction score
More than you wanted to know about the Explorer...

- there is no "low" liftover glass on the liftgate now - cost and weight reduction... the glass still opens but not down low like the older EXP.

- the front bumper "overriders" are functional - under the fascia there is a frame extension that absorbs energy in an impact. The front overhang of the Explorer is 4" longer (if memory serves me). We did all we could to hide the extra length with styling tricks...

- Tread width is up by 10mm per side giving a better tire to body relationship.

- Rear suspension is new - trailing arms now instead of a-arms. Sorry but the half shafts still go through the frame... making lift kits very difficult.

- Cladding is on the XLT only. It is new. No door swing cut-outs now (we call them 'skive outs') -I did the section thinner than the old door cladding so the door swings open without the skive-outs. It looks cleaner.

- Bigger new wheel lips - taller section - they are on XLT EB and LTD none on XLS.

- Nice new running boards and step bars. (thank you very much!)

- New exterior mirror - I did these - more aerodynamic and less wind noise but dang if I remember doing ANYTHING in the wind tunnel...

- New grilles have vertical grille bars that are painted black (to hide them) - this was expensive to do - there had to be a special masking process - they are painted after the chrome is applied...

- Rear bumper is carry-over from the old EXP, but tail lamps are new.

- Roof racks are new (I did them!) but they were introduced on the '05.

- Front grille - we could have put grille bars between the upper and lower grilles making one big grille (this was possible because bumper is below lower intake...) but boss did not like the way it looked - so we have chrome area between upper and lower grilles.

- Look for a strange cut out in the headlamp lens surface - not on early production vehicles - will show up about x-mas production.

"Y" did the interior

Right on, x. Thanks for the insight! I'd love to hear more from you regarding design. It's nice to hear things from a designer's point of view. Of course, I'm assuming you are authentic. ;)

Makes me more curious to hear about the upcoming '06/'07 ST. Much thanks for the update "x". Hoping to hear about the ST from you soon since it's August already, can hardly wait for the last weekend of September.:D

Authentic? Well, you never really can be sure. :) That's what makes things interesting...

Watch for the headlamp lens weirdness in a few months...

Thank You.

I like your contributions. Looks good, nice proportions.

Do your prefer the trailing arms to the a-arms, vice versa?

When might we hear from "y"?

I drove an rental '05 Explorer on vacation a few weeks ago, and the ride quality was far better than the solid axle on my daughter's '97 Eddie Bauer. The 4.0L V6 was pretty gutless, however, and only returned 18-19mpg on the hwy.

Last edited by a moderator:
GM, no I will not be making it to Dallas. :( Ford will not pop for a plane ticket...

I would have tried to get to Louisville if they had not changed the location.

x,

Did the tool box make it to production?

[Broken External Image]:

And we have to walk around to gas up on the other side? (I can use the excercise)

[Broken External Image]:

Nice work, does look clean without door cladding.

Didn't someone on here recently say how useless a in-bed "trunk" is? Certainly seems like Ford thinks different. I know I would use it. Added tool boxes are ugly, and sometimes you don't have room inside for a small box to put various "just in case" stuff.

Here's a question...Where in the heck is there a hitch on the back of that SVT? What would you tow? I think a black SVT ST towing a black SVT 'Stang would look pretty freakin sweet.

That's a good idea. Honda kind of messed it up. They have a lot of space in the "trunk" but sacrificed a fullsize spare for a space saver, which I don't understand on a truck.

All honda has to do is SAY truck and the 'H' lemmings will follow. :lol:

X,

Question, why is the gas filler door on the opposite side of the White 06/07 Camo ST?

I've wondered why they keep moving the gas fill doors around on cars. Seems like FORD, GM, etc.. should decide on 1 side and keep it. At least FORD could decide ALL SUV/Trucks are on the pass side, all Cars on the drivers side, or something to keep it consistent.

Finally, I'd personally REALLY like it if they would put it behind the license plate like the 70's cars. Hides the ugly thing and makes it easy to pull to either side of the pump!

Latest posts