Full copy of TSB 051111

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Durst

Reaction score
Does anyone have a full copy of TSB 051111 that I could see/get? It pertains to the dreaded front tire cupping issue we all seem to face. Its for the '05 S/Ts I think.

Come on man...give myself and "us" a break...

Rotate front tires directly back and change the shocks...

My wife and I both have Explorers. Hers is a 2000 Explorer and mine is a 2002 Trac. Neither have cupping issues. I have reflex shocks and she has Rancho RS9000 shocks. I have the original balljoints, not sure about hers since we got it used, but they do not look like they have been changed. We are both running BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A tires and we both love them.

Get on with your life like Dave S says. Get some good shocks, put an alignment kit on it & get it aligned, and invest in some good tires.

Tom

Ive got a 02 S/T that we bought new. The maintenance was done at the dealer who rotated the tires every oil change. The tires (GY Wranger RT/S) were noticeabily cupping at 20k to which the dealer told us it was typical and to rotate the tires more often.

By 45-50k the front end was producing the growl (around 45mph) that we all hear when the cupping gets bad enough.

I came across this site and found others having this same "issue" with the S/T cupping tires.

At 55k I replaces the OEM shocks with Monroe Sensa-Tracs and installed 4 new Yokohama Geolandars. The tires are rotated and rebalanced every 5k.

With 30k now on the tires the cupping issue has returned. Examining the rear tires (which were rotated from the front 5k before) I see signs of cupping on them.

Im assuming that at about 20k on the NEW shocks and tires the cupping issue reappeared.

So much for the "change the shocks and get rid of the crappy GYs."

IMHO rotating the uncupped rear tires to the front results in 4 cupped tires so why bother ruining all 4. IMHO cross rotating the fronts might be a better idea.

Again does anyone have a cfull copy of TSB 051111?

Thanks

Check the ball joints and tie rod ends, I bet you have bad upper or lower ball joints...

And there is a special procedure for checking them, so make sure the place knows what their doing...

Todd Z

Before installing the new tires and shocks, did you get an alignment? If so, did you get it done by the kids at NTB or did you go to a professional?

Tom

Tom,

Somewhere I think I read he said the dealer did do it.... So It think the qualifies the same as the kids at NTB.

LOL

Todd Z

TSB

05-11-11 IRREGULAR TIRE WEAR

Publication Date: May 26, 2005

FORD: 2003-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

ISSUE:

Some 2003-2005 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, P255/70R16 109S AT OWL tire, may exhibit signs of feathering heel-toe wear on the inside or outside edges of the front tires. Tire noise may also be present during regular highway drive or when braking.

ACTION:

Inspect the tires for feathering heel-toe wear. It may be necessary to rotate or replace tires and reset toe. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Visually inspect the front tire's inside and outside shoulder ribs.

Measure the difference in tread depth of the leading edge compared to trailing edge, of the most-worn lug (figure 2). If the average difference in tread depth between leading and trailing edge is less than 2 mm, rotate the tires. If the average difference is more than 2 mm, replace the front tires. Also inspect the rear tires and replace if necessary.

Ensure that the camber and caster readings are within specification.

Set the total front toe (TFT) to 0.12 ± 0.05 degrees (nominal).

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THE TOE BE SET POSITIVE TO 0.12 ± 0.05 DEGREES (NOMINAL).

NOTE: REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 204-00 FOR ALIGNMENT PROCEDURES. REFER TO THE WARRANTY AND POLICY MANUAL FOR TIRE AND ALIGNMENT REIMBURSEMENT COVERAGE.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

I took that TSB to my dealer at 34,000 miles, they told me adjustments were only eligible for warranty claims to 12,000 miles. Told me to take it up with regional manager if I felt differently. And they wonder why people hate dealers.....

I am out at sea right now so I do not have my owners manual handy, but doesn't it say to rotate something like front to rear and then swap the rears as you move them forward (or vice versa)? I have never done this, but I am wondering if the reversing of the rotation on the two tires each time would make it less noticeable?

I know one time with the GY RT/S tires, the dealer did do this, telling me it would make the cups go away and the vibration/noise less.

Personally, I have gotten new shocks and tires, and I am beginning to see some slight cupping on the edges of the tires. They get rotated quite a bit also. I don't really sweat it, these tires have almost 30k on them and are about 3 years old. The FL sun is hard on them anyways, so if I get 4 years/40-45k out of them, I'll be happy, even though they are 60k? mile tires.

cruzrtwdgt, you bring up an excellent point.

The factory recomended rotation pattern is to bring the rears straight forward and cross the fronts when moving to the rear. This allows each tire to have a "turn" at each corner and it will take 4 rotation intervals to bring a tire back to it's original position.

The different wear characteristics (front, rear, rotaing dirrection) all have their unique patterns. Allowing a tire to move in the recomended pattern minimizes the irregular wear.

I swear by it, and have never experienced cupping on any of my Fords (I have 5 + a couple of imports).

I am one of those people that do not rotate tires on a regular basis. I think the last time I rotated my tires was about 2 years ago.

Tom

Hal: Is there any possiblity that your tires maybe cupping but because of the way you rotate them your not noticing it? Perhaps the tires are just STARTING to cup about the same time you move the tires around. How often do you rotate them?

Thanks all for the info.

Lester

criss crossing the fronts still keeps the inside edge on the inside. The reason ford wants you to criss cross them is once you rotate the tire in the opposite direction, it wears the tire differently in the another direction, thus making the cupping disapear...

They are like magicians... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Todd Z

Lester, I have no cupping and 50,000 on my original Michelin Cross Terain's. My other explorer is approaching 100,000 and never had cupping. Both have original shocks, but have had frequent rotations (3k to 4k) as well as touching up the balance and at least checking the alignment once a year. My Ranger does have aftermarket shocks, but has been maintained exactly as my other vehicles and once again, no cupping. Regular maintanence is all it takes.

Todd Z, it's true that rotating the tire the oposite dirrection changes the wear characteristics, but once cupping starts NOTHING can eliminate it. That wear pattern is set for the life of the tire. You can slow down the cupping by rotation and rebalance, but you can not eliminate the cupping once it "sets".

No magic, just reality.

try this link from about 5 years ago....

Last edited by a moderator: