Fule mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Gearhart

Reaction score
What kind of fuel mileage is everyone getting? mine sucks 2 full tanks now and i only get 13.5 in town ill try highway mileage tomorrow on the way to portland its about 275 mile drive up I5. ST is a 04 4x4 with little bigger tires than stock 265/75/16

Mine started to go up after the 10k miles.

With a light foot I get about 18mpg mixed city/hwy driving, lead foot gets me 15 to 16mpg.

'02, 4x2, NLS, 4.10 diff

with your bigger tires your speedo is off if you are going 60 it will show 55 or so that is where mine was. until i reset it with my xcal2 that would be a reason for it showing such bad mpg you actually went further than your odometer shows. i got 410 on my last tank,i refilled at 1/8 tank 21mpg mixed driving 60 highway 40 city

Last edited by a moderator:
In mixed city/highway driving my 01 ST gets around 18 mpg. Scary thing is my 05 Mustang gets 22... even with my lead filled shoes!! :wacko:

05 stang weighs less so it has more power to move it

i corrected my wording

My last fill up got me 308 miles so that comes out to about 15mpg on 87 octane which is crappy.

4.10 OD

Mac Intake

Bosch Plugs/Wires

255/70/16

Mostly HWY but some CTY also.

dgear,

There are many factors that effect gas mileage. First is your driving habits. Next is keeping your tires inflated, keep your air filter clean, and don't haul a lot of extra weight in you vehicle.

Things that you have no control over are the weather, temperature, terrain, traffic and the specific blend of fuel in your area of the country.

That's the reason for the statement "Your mileage may vary" :)

...Rich

If Martimus is like me and his 05 is a V6 then no it dosent have more power.. Same engine and same tranny with my 05 stang and 01 ST. ST gets about 18 city and 20 hwy also 15 towing boat. Stang is getting 22 city and about 27 hwy but it still is very new and not many miles it will probaly pick up another 1 or 2 more mpg once broke in good.

From Kingman AZ to Dallas Tx...We averaged 24-25 mpg! And that is total stock doing speeds on the average 75-80 mph. I LOVE MY ST! :D

Depending when your part of the country gets the reformulated gas (for me it's in the summer), you might pick up a little mpg if you run 89. When we were paying over $3.00 a gallon I actually saved money by spending more for 89 because the mpg was better. Truck runs like crap on the 87 summer blend we get. Try a tank or two and see. Otherwise just drive with a light foot and keep your tire pressure right, oil changed, and air filter clean. I did change out the lube in my transfer case and axles and put in Mobil 1 and the Trac seems to coast longer without losing speed. Of course that was about $80 worth of ATF and gear lube right there so it might be a while until I recoup my investment, but it's the thought that counts. :cool:

Here it is the opposite., Using the reformulated gas, I am down 2 to 3 MPG. Pretty lame.

Tom

I just started keeping track of my mileage per gallon, something I should have done a long time ago. In the last couple months I've felt like my MPG dropped off significantly, but without any prior readings I can't prove that it is anything more than my imagination or simply different driving conditions.

Anyway, I have two calculations so far:

10/28/05 - 16.23 gallons ($42.00). Got 225.2 miles on that tank. 13.87 MPG

Note: On this fill-up I added a 5.25 oz. bottle of Lucas Fuel Treatment.

11/05/05 - 15.28 gallons ($36.50). Got 252 miles on that tank. 16.49 MPG

As you can see, there was a pretty big jump from the first fill-up to the second. You can draw your own conclusions on that fuel treatment, but other than that my driving conditions were about as consistant as they can be. Even though I don't feel like I am an aggresive driver with a lead foot, I have still been making a conscious effort to make sure I'm not giving it too much gas from stop lights, etc.

Latest posts