Fueling Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Torres

Reaction score
I had a new experience last night with my '04 ST. I had about a 1/4 tank of gas and went to a Shell to get gas. It took 15.5 gallons of gas but while it was fueling I could smell really strong gas vapors coming from the nozzle. I actually had to stand about six feet away while fueling because the gas smell was so strong. After I finished I drive away and the needle only goes to half. I figure something was wrong with the pump so I go back to the station and speak with the attendant who basically tells me the pumps are calibrated and there's nothing he can do. Pissed off I go across the street to a different station to fill up but it only takes a gallon before overflowing so apparently the tank was full. I drive home and the gas needle never goes above half. Then this morning on the way to work I'm driving on the freeway and the needle starts to slowly go up. It took about 12 miles of freeway driving for the needle to go from half to full very slowly. Now it seems fine and is at full. Has anyone ever had this happen or have any ideas what might have caused it? Could the fuel system have lost pressure?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had something similar happening on the wife's Focus. After a fill up the needle was stuck in empty, a couple switch off/on and it got back to normal behavior, never done that again.

Perhaps the floating thingy in the tank was stuck??

Never had a sticking problem, but my fuel gauge,on my '04, is about 3 to 4 gallons high, once it gets below 1/2 tank reading...

It was very linear for the first 6months..then one day, whako...once it gets below 1/2 tank..I fill up, I dont trust it...

I wouldn't do this to an ST, but when we first got the uparmored HMMW-Vs on a deployment to Kosovo 5 years ago the fuel gauge would stick. Our Motor Sergeant had us put some trans fluid in the full tank, loosened it up, but again that was a diesel (JP-8) engine. Maybe some sort of STP additive would help.

I had something similar happen. The gauge read near empty. When I went to fill it up, the tank only took a few gallons then gas started shooting out of the tank and the nozzle clicked off. It happened several times, then started running really rough.

After about a week, the timing chain broke and the engine is trashed. I don't think the two are related, but it sure is a coincidence!

It's the fuel level sensor, Had that happen to my 04. If it happens again, take it to the dealership show the Tech advisor have him schedule, run your tank as low as you can when you take it back in for the appt. they will drop the tank and replace the sensor. Warranty.

Latest posts