Fuel tank gauge trouble

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy-The-Ute

Reaction score
I filled my gas tank today. I had about 3rd of a tank when I filled it. But when I drove off I noticed that the fuel gauge didn't go to full but stayed at the 1/3 level and then if just droped to empty. :huh: No I wasn't leaking gas. I guess the fuel level mechanism in the tank got damaged during the fill up. Can that be repaired of will they have to install a whole new tank.

:(

no, I don't think I did. I am not in a habit of running my motor while filling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you left the key in the 'on' position while you were filling?

Not sure on a Trac, but on other vehicles if you leave the key in that position, it can mess up the gauge.

I remember my wife &/or kids would want the radio on while I was filling, and when I drove off, the gauge didn't move to F . . .

Could be a bad connection at the wiring to the tank. Try wiggling the wires at the tank. That fixed my erratic gauge a couple of years ago.

Wierd, now my gas gauge works today. And stoping the engine and removing the key and coming back several minutes later to restart it didn't work yesterday.:wacko: I did bang on the gas tank before I started the engine today.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts