Fuel Smell

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Stokes

Reaction score
Hi,

Smell gas at the rear of my wife's Trac for a couple of weeks now, (no check engine light.) After searching here and online I found a couple of possible causes: gas cap, split rubber line from the filler neck, evap canister, and the purge valve. Couple of questions for the forum:

1. The rubber line appears to be "S" shaped. Is that a preformed line or can I just buy some 1/2" or 5/8" (which ever it is) fuel line and replace it?

2. Ive read some place that if you remove the evap canister or purge valve that you need to do a drive cycle test which calls for a OBD II monitor to monitor PIDs: ECT, EVAPDC, FL1, and TP MODE for 30 mins. Does this test really need to be performed, (esp. since I dont have a OBD II monitor)

As always thank for your assistance in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you have no check engine light yet. You can remove any hose or component for replacment. With out having to clear the code or do a drive cycle. After the light comes on, you will.

Look in the Drivers side wheel well... there are hoses and elbowes in there, They can fall appart

Todd Z

UPDATE:

Dropped the spare, and removed the bracket holding the evap canister(s) (looked like two linked together by a hose) the elbow coming from the tank was missing, (good call Todd...)

I replaced the elbow and have a 50% reduction in the smell...but it's still there. It appears to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. After dropping the spare and crawling under the Trac there was a faint whiff of fuel smell.

After taking the evap. canisters out and putting them back in the smell was gone. Took it out for a test drive, and after parking for about 10 mins. the smell came back :banghead: The purge vavle looked to be in good shape, and stil no check engine light...

Thanks for your help so far...

UPDATE II

Changed out the fuel pump, fingers crossed seems to have corrected the problem. Pump was $240 from O'Reily's and took about 3 hours to put in. Not a hard job...just a lotta little PITA things...like removing the hose from the filler neck. Tank is only held in with 2 bolts; one each holding the T straps. Make sure you have the right tool to remove the fuel lines, and that the tank is as empty as you can get it...

I hold a post online that showed how to remove the tank...it was very helpful.

Thanks to Ret. Navy Guy for putting me on the right track