fuel shut off solenoid and po455 code

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Cogar

Reaction score
First, does anyone know where to buy a fuel shut off solenoid other then the ford dealership? It's only $55 but I am just wondering if I can get it for less.

Second, had anyone installed one of these before? Is it hard to? How did you do it? Thanks

Third, would a fuel shut off solenoid cause my po455 engine light code to come on?

It says it's a fuel leak. I don't smell any fuel. My gas cap light used to come on so I replaced the cap. Both lights still came on, then finally my fuel pump stopped working. Replaced the fuel pump. I got no light for 3 weeks, then the engine light came back on with the po455 code again. But no fuel cap code now.

Could it just be the solenoid?

Oh, also the ST shuts off randomly. I press the fuel shut off reset and it starts right back up, but then at some random time it shut off again and I repeat.

Thanks for the help.

P0455= EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large)

You have a major leak in the fuelvapor sealed sytem.

I would start with cleaning the gas cap seal. Also check all the hoses on the canistor above the spare. They need to be tight. Clip the ends if need be. Maybe even clamp them.

Also check all vapor hoses from fuel pump replacement.

The shut off is a seperate issue. Most likely a ford Item only. removal is straight forward, simple

Ok I'll grab the part. And let you know how it goes. For the fuel leak. I don't know what to do. I looked at the hoses when I had the tank down and they all looked ok. I'll double check before I send it into the shop

Ok I'll grab the part. And let you know how it goes. For the fuel leak. I don't know what to do. I looked at the hoses when I had the tank down and they all looked ok. I'll double check before I send it into the shop

Kmcogar,

About 3 weeks ago I had the same code P0445. But before that I had the P0442 which I fixed,if you do a search on the site you will see the update.

Anyways, thankfully I was able to fix this one as well, it turned out that the purge valve, located just before the driver's side wheel arch, just under the battery was not operating properly. The valve it seems had stuck/ block and there was no flow. Remember the code is for Large leak or no flow.

Since I could not detect any fuel fumes like I did with P0442, my thought was that it had to be the no-flow situation. I did check the hoses on the canister but ruled that out because of the lack of fuel fumes so I went with replacing the purge valve.The new one is about $100+ depending on who you get it from. It so happened I had a spare one from the time I was trying to resolve the P0442.

I have read on other ford forum sites where guys have cleaned them and they work but I don't know how effective it will be.

This is my two cents, I hope it helps.

Latest posts