Fuel Pump/Filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy G

Reaction score
Can someone please help a girl out? I ran over a deer and there is a dent in my gas tank which is throwing off my fuel level sensor. Anyways, my insurance company is paying for a new gas tank and a 4 wheel alignment. There appears to be no other damage.

My question is, should I put a new fuel pump in at my cost? I have 77,000 on the original fuel pump (02 ST). They said it would be about $250 with labor being paid by my insurance. I don't have an extra $250 laying around esp at the holidays. I was thinking about maybe just replacing the filter and the sock? I hope this makes sense, I really don't know what I'm talking about. I did change the fuel filter in the rail this summer. I think there are 2 filters?

Thanks!!

Hate to say it but since the fuel pump is in the fuel tank and they are replacing the fuel tank, it probably would be a good idea to replace the pump if your planning on keeping the Trac. I've heard the labor cost just to replace the fuel pump can run close to $500.

Get the repair shop to claim that the pump was damaged. The sock is part of a new pump. At that millage it would be wise to get a new pump. The labor for the tank is already there. If you have to get the pump yourself from your auto parts store. Cheaper than the dealer. Get a name brand. I dont know about the trac pump cost. I have bought aftermarket pumps for as little as $80.

Ford price is not a lot different from a parts store price. I got mine for $200 from Ford because I have a friend that works there. Auto Zone was $250 or so. Sock and gauge sending unit and pump are all one part. Check around and see what prices are. Call up one of our site sponsors, like Wall's Lincoln Mercury. They are supposed to give us a better price.

Wall's Lincoln Mercury

115 Merrimack Street

Methuen, MA 01844

Phone: (800) 245-9255

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://www.thinkwalls.com/

Internal fuel pumps are just plain expensive. I understand about not having it lying around, but I would try to find a way to keep from putting that old pump back into your new tank.

I cannot believe why they would charge you anymore labor to R&R the fuel pump when the insurance already covers the warranty to R&R the gas tank. I would insist that you pay for the pump only.

I agree with Art.

THEY HAVE TO REMOVE THE OLD PUMP to change out the tank..... There should BE no labor cost to you at all....

Only the part...

They are just trying to make money on you..

Todd Z

Fuel level sensor is part of the pump assembly. I agree- get the shop to indicate that the fuel sensor/pump assembly was damaged. Insurance company should pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
She said the labor would be paid for by her insurance. She just doesn't have the ready cash lying around to get a new pump. I understand her position. I don't always have $250 lying around waiting for me to decide what to do with it! I usually find something to do with it!:)

If it is all one piece. Sounds like she is getting ripped off by the repair shop. Pumps I have changed in the past were seperate units. I guess that is why the price was low.

Its like changing your water pump and not the timing chain in my opinion. Pay a lot now or pay a whole lot later i guess it depends if she id keeping the trac, also again imho why wouldn't she?

Tammy,

Get the fuel pump changed now. With that many miles and since the tank is coming out it would be in your best interest to get it done, especially with the miles on the Trac. If it goes out in the next year or 2 your probably looking at $800.00 to have a shop do it for you.

Latest posts