Fuel Pressure Sensor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris Laroco

Reaction score
Thanks again Todd for helping with the CEL code that I was getting. I bought a new fuel pressure sensor, but I have one question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. When replacing the fuel pressure sensor, do I need to relieve the fuel system pressure first or can I just take out the old one and replace it with the new one without any issues? I have a Haynes manual and it's usually a very good reference tool, but unfortunately it doesn't mention anything about the fuel pressure sensor.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

There is a shrader valve on the fuel rail. You can relief the pressure there. Have a large rag or old towel handy to catch ans asorbe the fuel. That way the fuel wont be all over the motor. Best for the motor to be cold also. Have a fire extinguser handy, just in case, if you have one.

You can also remove the fuel pump fuse and start the truck. This method will throw a misfire code typically but relieves the majority of the pressure.

Thanks Eddie. So I take it that it wouldn't be a good idea to replace the sensor without relieving the pressure first...

I don't have the right tools to relieve the pressure from the shrader valve and because the truck isn't running correctly, I don't have a way to get to a parts shop. Is it possible to pull the fuel pump fuse or relay and run the truck until it stalls out? Would that work?

The 04 and up do not have a schrader valve........

Do the fuse and start the truck method.....

I have never triggered a CEL doing that since the truck does not run long enough to...

Todd Z

I pulled the fuse on my sisters 07 escape to change the fuel filter and it threw 2 codes. One for low fuel pressure and one for cyl 1 misfire. Prior to that I have never set off a code, so I assume it depends on the vehicle, I was just warning him so he wouldn't be too shocked if it did happen.

To relieve the pressure on a Schraeder valve, all it takes is something to push the pin down in the center. Use a tire gauge. The head usually has a pin on the back that is designed to just that. Put the rag over the gauge as you do it.

Lucky me, of all days for the truck to stop running is one of the five days it rains out here in Southern California. It's been off and on though, so when it stopped sprinkling, I managed to get outside and get it done in a matter of minutes. I pulled the relay and ran the truck until it stalled out, then removed the sensor. There was still a little pressure, but nothing crazy. Pulled the old sensor and replaced it with the new one. Connected the battery back up, and everything seems to be running just fine. I'll wait a few days to see if the CEL comes on again, but I think I'm good.

Thanks again for your help, guys. I really do appreciate it! :supercool:

Latest posts