Fuel Gauge Erroneous....Any Suggestions????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chops

Reaction score
I updated my previous post as to when this started, but my questions got lost in the pile-up.

Just the facts:

Full tank-o-fuel, 7-19-06, I squeezed in 24 gals and now realize I was probably driving on fumes. The fuel gauge was reading about 1/8 tank before fill up. The LOW FUEL alarm had just sounded. Needle went to full after fill up.

Today I am at 265 miles on that same tank of fuel. Fuel gauge reads 7/8 FULL.

I like seeing a full tank, but not a pseudo full tank. At this rate, I'm getting 88 miles per gallon.

Obviously the fuel gauge circuit is confused. Any suggestions? Disconnect battery? Give it time?

The needle isn't stuck, it zeros out with the ignition off.

Is the fuel tank sender (I suppose they still use a variable resister for fuel level) an input to the CPU or does the sender input directly to the fuel gauge?

Thanks!

Goto ebay and buy a Ford repair manual. Read up on it yourself. I am sure reading the wirig scematics and a miltimeter, you will have no problems finding the problem in a shor time.

Tom

Likely the in tank fuel sender needs replacement.

Mine has been doing a similar thing for months, but I know I can get 400 miles per tank....so that is my gauge....

The high ethanol content is known to attack parts in there...

IF it isn't stuck, Then the sender needs to be replaced...

OR as tom hinted you can take a class in auto mechanics and read some books. By that time the truck will be out of gas, stuck on the side of the road, and some one will have to fix it for you....

A little off the wall lately tom???????

Todd Z

I'd really love to see them come out with a fuel gauge that shows how many GALLONS are in the tank. Not the totally inaccurate needle gauge that's being used by most vehicles.

D-

That is why I like my scangauge 2. It tells me how many gallons til empty by figuring the gas milage off the computer. But my St gas gauge will still be at 3/4 full after burning 12 to 14 gallons of gas. Gotta like a factory gauge.

Todd,

It does not take a mechanic to check a few wires. The guage likely works as a resistor. Full resistance, or none, when full and the opposite when empty. A multimeter will show resistance. If it doesn't fluctuate, then it is bad. A Ford repair manual will tell someone how to do it step by step.

Paying someone to fix a small problem is like throwing money out of the window. Simple repairs can be done by anyone. I have not heard of anyone having that problem since I started coming here in 2002.

Tom

Yeah I actually diagnosed/repaired the gauge circuit in an '82 Trans Am I had, without a manual, but I attacked it worst case first. The sender was on top of the tank, and the tank was on top of the rear axle if I recall. I cut a small access door/panel into the rear cargo floor area to get to the sender as so I wouldn't have to drop the tank, took the sender out, but it was fine and I had full sweep resistance high to low.

Went into the dash after that, found a shunt resister parallel to the gauge was open. 29 cents fix.

My Trac is still in warranty, I was just dreading having to go to the Dealerif it were something simple. Guess I'll drop it off at the Dealer and let them fix it free, and I'll go play tennis instead.

Tom, Just lately I have seen a lot of people telling people to learn how to fix things them selves. What if they cant??.. Don't want to start a pissing contest, But I just hate seeing people tell others asking questions to go learn something, or do something other than try to help them with the issue at hand....The average person may not be a skilled mechanic, accountant, Dr, lawyer ETC... IF everyone could do everything there would be No need for people to be in business......

Todd Z

Good point Todd, I thought that was the purpose of this site. It has helped me many times, if only looking for a starting point, then going from there. Anyway, I think its your Trac's way of helping you cope with rising fuel prices. It has sensed your frustration with the cost, and it is easing the blow. It's gonna leave you stranded, but at least you'll have an 8th of a tank on the guages ! ! :D

Latest posts