Fuel Filter Change with Pics - 2010 4.6L

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson Ellis

Reaction score
Changed my fuel filter out yesterday and took some pictures while I was under there. The 2010 is different from previous years according to posts I've seen on this website, but the gist is still the same. Took all of 30 minutes.

1) Located the fuel filter on the passenger side of the truck. The filter is roughly aligned with the gap between the front and rear passenger side doors, sitting on top of the front edge of the fuel tank, behind a plastic cover that is held on with 2 nuts. This helped me decide where to locate the jack stands.

2) Lifted the passenger side and placed jack stands. The first pic is taken with me slid under the truck from the passenger side pointing the camera back towards my feet. Those two nuts are 10mm, and the plastic shield fell off with some "dirt and stuff" coming with it.

[Broken External Image]:

3) The second pic is looking in the direction of the back of the truck. Fuel flows from left to right (red clip towards gray clip). The gray clip on the right is very simple, just squeeze the two ends together and push the clip off of the fuel line. The red clip took some work. I found the third pic on the web, and could not get the clip to release with my bare hands. I pushed a wide straight-edge screwdriver into the clip exactly where the arrow is pointing in the top figure, and the clip released. Then it slid off the fuel line like the gray one did. Two notes - these clips are flimsy-feeling, so be careful, and I suggest you release both clips before pulling the fuel lines out or you'll be working with gas dripping down your arms.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

4) The fuel lines will now pop off of the fuel filter pretty easily. I released the gray clip side first to catch filtered gas that I put into my lawn mower, probably about half a cup. The new filter slid on easily, and the clips were simple to push back on. Add the shield and two nuts, and the job is done. I started the truck which took maybe one extra crank over to start.

I did not do anything to relieve fuel pressure other than let the truck sit overnight. There was no pressure it seemed, the gas just poured out due to gravity, with more from the fuel line leading to the engine (the gray clip side) than from the fuel filter which was still attached to the line from the tank. I tapped my filter on a paper towel to see if the contents were very dirty. Some gasoline came out with slight salmon colored tint, but I did not see any particles. I bought my truck a year ago, and have no idea when the filter was replaced before. I have a little over 75K miles now. I use only Top Tier fuels.

That's it. Simple, quick, and less than $20 unless you get your filter from you local dealer, then more like $30.

Nice writeup. It'd be a great submission for Projects section of this website. Put it into Word format and send to Webmaster. He can convert it to .pdf and put it in the Library.