Fuel Filter ARGHHHHH!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kendall

Reaction score
Well, looks like I got one of the b*%#@ fuel filters that doesn't want to come off. The back 2 lines came right off...been monkeying around with the front line for 45 minutes now with no signs that it is even getting close. I am using the metal tool. I have sprayed with wd40, taken it out of the bracket, pushed the tool in with all of my might, just waiting to hear the magic "click" sound. I even carefully used a screw driver to try to help push the tool up further into the line with no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Could of had it changed at Ford yesterday for $50.00....that looks like a bargain now!!

Last edited by a moderator:
As already stated. Step back, take a break, and try again. I had the same problem. The back 2 came off fairly easy and the front 1 took me almost an hour to get loose. Many, many, many choice words, alittle bit of DNA left under the vehicle, and a buttload of sweat, it popped right off. No problem.:D;)

Make sure to thank ford for the brilliant design :) I found it a pain with the tool so I took a large marker and cut it down to 2" long and then slit it open and popped it around the fuel line. Push it into the fitting and it should come right off.

Use a few choice words and keep at it!!

SUCCESS!! After many choice words and at least 2 walk aways, it finally came off!! All in all, I had about 1 1/2 hours in it trying to get it off and I saved about $30.00. It was worth it to me. If it came off easy like the 2 lines in the back, it would only be about a 5 minute job!! Anyway, thanks for the encouragement guys!!:D:lol:

If you sprayed cleaner in there and hit the filter with a rubber mallet while facing the fitting that would not come off Downward you would see all the sand in there that is holding the clip from moving....

Todd Z

Latest posts