Fuel Filter <ARGH> tool

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Cabrera

Reaction score
Is this the tool I need to get my gen 1 gas filter off?

19f19ade86eb88ccd2cefe3a3a92cea9.jpg

IF those are plastic, STAY AWAY !!!

Get these...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd

Do you have a part number or a website etc where to buy them? I found a red 5/16 & yr pix shows a gold 3/8 and a red (can't see size) do I need both sizes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy. I have never seen the tools in your picture. You can get the tools Todd shows just about any parts store. Make sure you search this forum about the fuel filter. A lot of people like myself have had problems removing the filter. I know I will never try it again.

Tom

I have seen the condition of a lot of the filters in the forum and it didn't look pleasant. That's what prompted me to look for the tool (I figure lets be prepared) I don't expect it to be a simple job in the least.

In theory, but the plastic and metal tools work. That said,,, the plastic ones just don't seem to work for our fuel filters.

The plastic ones seem to work well on the A/C lines though..

I have both the plastic and the metal tools. I have better luck with the plastic tools- they seem to slip under the spring easier and release the fitting.

There is another, later, version of the aluminum ones that have a "step" on the part that you insert into the line. I thin it enables the removal of transmission lines on new models.

You can get a good deal on them off of eBay. Price varies widely. In this case, Snap-On and no-name = same tool. I have one of each and there is NO difference except the name.

Advance & Autozone will work for me!

Thanx eveyone. Homefully I won't be cursing too much! :D

i bought mine at advance. got the two lines off from the back but the front broke off and i ended up. putting a fuel hose on the broken side and conected it to the new one. it works.\

so good luck.

Found a set of 4 (1/4, 1/2, 3/8, & 5/16) at Harbor Freight SKU 96834 for $14.99.

[Broken External Image]:

I used the 3/8" to remove the front fitting. To remove the rear fitting push in on the green tab and pull back. A word of caution...I pulled the fuel pump fuse and ran the truck til it died and it still sprayed a bunch of fuel all over me. WEAR GOGGLES

Latest posts