Fuel cut off switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry E

Reaction score
I have been stranded four times in the last six weeks. I have changed the fuel filter. I have removed and replaced the fuel relay and related fuse. I have reset the fuel cut off switch each time as well. The truck still refused to start.....but will eventually start several hours later (sometimes after sitting overnight). The fuel pump seems to work because it can be heard. Is it possible to remove or bypass the emergency fuel shutoff switch? I've driven vehicles for years without one and I think that it is the cause of the problem I'm now having. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Barry

Does the "Theft" light flash when starting?

The PATS module is known to go out, causing the very symptoms you describe. It takes about 20 minutes to reset.

thanks Paul.....I just looked it up and found out that there are a lot of components involved in this module. I don't know why it would not accept the key at one moment but would accept it several hours later. It's frustrating...to say the least. Best regards, Barry

You might have a moisture problem, (i.e., heavy dew, parked outside, with windows

down), that eventually dries out. Mine started after sitting over night also.

If you can hear the pump and it doesn't start, there is nothing wrong with the fuel cut-off switch. If the switch is the problem, the fuel pump would not work.

Tom

My question is the engine Cranking, or do you simply get nothing at all when you turn the key???

Todd Z

The engine does crank....lights work, etc......something's just not allowing it to start. Like I said before, this is the fourth time it's done this in six weeks. It is not cold or damp here so moisture is not a problem. It's so bizarre. Three out of the four times my wife was sitting in the passenger seat...her idea is that it must be a problematic wire running under the passenger floorboard that is connected to the fuel cut off switch and becomes activated from movement of the passenger. I've pulled it all apart and don't see any kind of visual problem. If it was either the PARS module or the cut off switch, why would it miraculously start after sitting for several hours? Is there some kind of phantom timer involved in either of these two saftey systems. THanks everyone for your imput. Barry

I still think it's the PATS. It has a timer that has to reset to prevent the vehicle from being stolen.

OK,

Does the fuel reset keep popping UP and you have to CLICK it down, IF NOT then it is NOT the fuel reset...

Try Holding your foot 1/4 throttle and see if it starts, if so it is the IAC motor...

Try turning the key on and off (DO NOT CRANK) 4-5 times and Waite 5 seconds when on, Then start the truck...

IF it starts then it is a fuel pressure issue....

Again,

Barry, that is why I have installed the fuel pressure gauge from Zabteck.It will tell you if you are getting fuel up to the engine. You can at least eliminate fuel pressure problems then. An easy and messy way to tell if you are getting fuel to the injectors is to depress the port on the back of the passenger side of the engine. _Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Well folks....it's happened again. Got stuck in the parking lot of Home Depot three weeks ago. Tried the usual things...no luck. So I left the truck in the lot for 2 hours and when I went back...it started right up. Ran great until today when it did it again...refused to start. It's been sitting all day (six hours) so I just went and tried to start it...nada. This time, my wife could not hear the fuel pump. If a fuel pump goes out....can it be a sporatic type thing where it will work, not work, work, not work, etc? I might add, that I tried different keys, the fuel reset button, and everything else everyone suggested above. But did not check for fuel pressure which probably isn't necessary since I don't hear the fuel pump activating. Could the fuses under the hood for the fuel pump and reset possible be the culprit? They check out ok as far as continuity. Thanks for any suggestions.