Fuel cut off switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Cogar

Reaction score
Well my car pretty much shuts off on me. I can be idling and it just dies. It still has power but no fuel. I reset the emergency fuel cut off switch under the passengers side dash, and it starts right up. This even happens when I'm driving 60mph. All the sudden no gas. When this first happened I replaced the fuel pump.......so that's not it.

As long as I press the reset it drives fine, but stopping 3 times to do it while driving to work is not fun.

What could it be? New reset switch?

I had an front end accident about 6 months ago, but this didn't start till now.

Also if I sit in an idle, the truck is fine for about 3 minutes, then it starts to give out a little, likes it's loosing power. It's not much, goes from 600 to 700 rpms. It's barely noticeable on my gauge but I can hear and feel it struggling.

Personally, I think you answered your own question. I don't have a great deal of knowledge on some of this stuff, but I would consider replacing the fuel reset switch. Seems to me if the truck starts right up after reset, what else could it be? Bob

To test if this is the problem. unplug the switch harness. Then make a jumper wire for the harness. If all is well. buy a new switch.

My old Gen 1 Trac would do that after my son accidentally kicked the switch with his size 13's and killed the motor at 75 mph on the Interstate. After that it wasn't right and I ended up getting a new switch.

I had the same problem , it was the fuel shut off switch. It actually was slightly melted. Pull the whole thing out. You can get a piece of wire and jump it. See if it stops shutting off.

Sorry, I just got that cash to pick up the part tomorrow. I will let you know after this weekend, or actually after they order the part for me and it comes in.

Latest posts