Front Wheel Bearing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie V

Reaction score
Had a loud humming noise that got louder as the trac sped up. Jacked up the front and found a little play on the passenger side wheel. Off to the local fix it shop. They told me that the wheel bearing gets replaced as a unit with a new hub at a cost of $300.00 plus labor. Ouch, well had it done and the humming is gone but now when I come to a stop it feels like the ABS is pulsing. Not everytime but it never did it before unless I was in snow. I will take it back to them this week but can anyone tell me if what did could have caused this? 2002 4X4. Thanks, Bill

bill,

They are known for going....

Hitting a pot hole or curb can speed up the process...

The bearing is only around $100.00-$130.00 cost...

May want to get the part your self and find a different shop to install...

Our site sponsors can also get you a deal on an OEM part

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
My son & I just had both sides replaced on his 05' 4x4 within 20 days of each other back in Dec.. For $8 more per assembly hub I got a lifetime replacemnt warrnty on ones from National Wheels Bearings vs. the ones from Ford. We paid something like $376 per side parts, labor & sales tax.

We're not mechanics & took it to my buddy's shop[that I went K-12 w/] here in Nashville that does that type work. We thought the roar/noise was just the Goodyear Wrangler OE tires! If we'd ever thought that was what it was we'd had it done miles ago.

Walls Ford [site sponsor] did offer me the parts for something like $154 each, that was a whole lot cheaper than my local Ford dealer. But I wouldn't ask my buddy from school to put on parts that I bought else where. Like I said I got a lifetime warranty for $8 more each than if I'd had it done @ my local Ford dealer.

I'm just glad my 01' is not 4x4! But he'll never have to pay to replace them again.

I do know you have to specify w/ABS brakes to get the right hub assembly.

Thanks for the reply's. I guess I will have to ask them if they got the hub for ABS, maybe thats whats my brakes pulsate. Thanks guys.

Well it looks like it was something they did that caused my brakes to pulsate. When they packed the bearings they got grease in front of the ABS sensor. Has not done it in two days so I think that was it. They spent about an hour checking it out and didn't charge me anything. They backed up their work so I think I will keep them. :D

Bill,

I'm very interested in "how" they repacked the bearings on your 2002 4x4, I was told by my local Ford dealer & my buddy that installed my son's that the front hub assembly is a sealed unit. Wow!

Les

Latest posts