Front sway bar

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know the diameter of the front and rear sway bar on an 03. 4x4 st? I need to replace the sway bar bushings and am told there are 4 sizes. Thx. Mel

:eek:nline:

Stock Rear is 19mm or 3/4'"

If you do one suspension upgrade after shocks, change the rear.

Most here would recommend the Zabteck or the EE X Spec RSB.

Too many rave reviews and testimonials to ignore. Unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto, on good shocks and a heavier rear swaybar. I have the EE rear bar, excelent improovement. Go for the zabteck bar and support the site

Im noticing as my trac gets more miles. My front oem seems softer in hard corners. I hope to get the zabteck front bar.

Im a spirited driver. MPG, means nonthing to me..LOL

Rodger,

I have the moog end links. I think for my driving style, I need a bigger bar. My trac is a 4x2. Comes with a smaller front bar than the 4x4.

Energy suspension are a harder durometer poly than, the oem '04 polys. They might help on the oem bar main bushings. That wont cost much to try.

I had them on my t-bird and 'stang front bar. I also had lowered both cars 1 1/2", with sport springs. So I didnt need much sway bar strength.

Eddie,

I would upgrade to the MOOG problem solver upper & lower control arm bushings first

I suggest you look into doing both upper & lower, MOOG Problem Solver, control arm bushings as well as the main sway bar bushings. Not a lot of money, and considering what you said about your driving I would start with that.

Rodger,

When I get a chance. Im going to check the hardness difference between moog and energy-suspension, front sway-bar frame bushings.

Provided the parts store will let me open the packages..LOL

At this time my control arm bushings are not in need.

I think I will need cab to frame bushings before that..Im preturbed about the fact ford hasnsnt recalled them. I registered a complaint with NHSTA. Hoping others would also. Not normal and is a safety concern, if they fall out.

Eddie,

I do not think that MOOG makes front sway bar frame bushings, but I could be wrong. The reason I mentioned the upper & lower control arm bushings is that they are farther to the outside than either the front sway bar frame or front end link bushings; therefore giving more control in corners. I did see that ES makes upper & lower control arm bushings for the '01 explorer which I believe is pretty much the same as the ST, and I am going to look at those for my ST. I am also going to replace my front sway bar frame bushings with the black ES bushings because I have the black ES bushings on the front end links of mine. My experience with the MOOG front end link bushings is that they are softer than the ES bushings. Hope you follow my logic.

My experience with the MOOG front end link bushings is that they are softer than the ES bushings. Hope you follow my logic.

I'm not sure of any official way to tell the hardness between the bushings, but the blue Moog bushings for my stock bar were a lot easier to squish than the black & red bushings for my Addco bar.

I am also going to replace my front sway bar frame bushings with the black ES bushings because I have the black ES bushings on the front end links of mine.

I also need to do this as my Addco bar came with precut red bushings (the cuts weren't done by a surgeon either), and they not only don't jibe with my black bushings but I want to see if new ES bar bushings give a superior ride to what I have on my Addco 737 bar now.

Have not seen replacement 1.5" (38mm) bushings for the Addco 737.

The largest ES replacement poly kit is 1 3/8" (35mm)

Moog does have rubber replacement bushings for stock bars.

K80080 (RWD) 1 1/8" or K80081 (4WD) 1 1/4"

I would hope Addco sells their replacement bushings separately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts