Front suspension rebuild..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Hedin

Reaction score
I replaced the upper, lower ball joints (and wheel bearings) on my 2003 recently, thought I would post about it.

I have about 80K miles on my Sport Trac.

I bought the following kit on ebay: Item # 290867323586

I know, no name brand, but I have no complaints (no issues after 2 months).

Quality is good on these parts.

The kit had inner and outer tie rod ends but mine were fine so i saved them for later.

All the joints have grease fittings which I like.

I used the ball joint press that harbor freight sells (Item#4065) Used the 20% coupon and got it for about $56. This kit works perfectly for Explorers. I think it will come in handy for other things as well.

The local shop wanted around $500 to do just the lower ball joints, so I figured while I was in there I would do the front wheel bearings as well. I picked up a set of no-name wheel bearings/hub assemblies for $50 each. I can't remember the name of the online seller.

I'm loving the "economies of scale" of the Ford Explorer platform! Parts are low cost.

The new wheel bearing/hub assemblies came with new ABS sensors . My ABS sensors were fine so I saved those for later as well.

Effort-wise I would say that it takes about 2 hours a side. I split it up over two weekends.

Now that i know what I'm doing I could probably bang it out in half that time. I actually painted some of the items in black Rustoleum so i had to wait for that to dry.

The project guidelines on this web site were handy. Thanks to all who posted those.

After i finished I did my own DIY alignment. My procedure was very simple. I just sighted down the side of the truck, adjusting each tie rod end so that the front wheels were aligned.

I then gently added some toe in till she tracked nicely. Some minor corrections to keep the steering wheel centered. She tracks better now than before I started the project.

i also tightened the driver side torsion bar because she was sagging on that side.

So... the man wanted over $500 to do just the lower ball joints..

I spent:

$10 1/2" Socket for axle

$56 for ball joint press

$100 for suspension kit

$100 for wheel bearings/hubs.

$50 for 1/2 inch impact gun (I didn't really need this, but what the heck?)

That's about $316 - The way i see it, I'm way ahead of the game.

I love my Sport Trac. God willing I'm taking this baby to 200K miles!

Feels good dont it !!! I did basically the same thing last summer, at 120K now, going 120 more!!

:banana::supercool:

Todd Z

Sorry J.B. No pics. The guides in the projects section for the ball joints and wheels bearings just about cover it.

Nothing special about the uppers. You don't need the press for the uppers if you buy the kit with the complete ball joints/upper frames. The passenger side is easy, the driver side is a little more work. I would add that it's a good idea to mark the positions of the bolts on the uppers so you don't lose camber/caster settings.

Also, be advised that some aftermarket outfits sell the a-frame that accepts their own upper ball joint replacement. I think it's Moog. Yea, fine, but they cost more. The kit that I mentioned is so inexpensive - why bother? Are they still gonna sell that 10 years from now?

Just buy the kit with the whole frames/ball joints. I might just buy another one of those kits and throw it up in the attic.

Hardest part is replacing the lower ball joints. They are the ones that bear the majority of the load.

I would say if you are someone who comfortable doing a full brake job then you should have no problem tackling this job.

Todd Z - definitely feeling good...

A few years ago, I ran into dire financial trouble and had to postpone a lot of truck maintenance. I'm finally caught up (except for a transmission filter/flush) and the ST is driving like new. It sure is a good feeling to have things up to snuff.

Latest posts