Front rotor change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I did the rotors on Saturday and thought I had some grease but didnt sooooo I stole the grease from the old rotors (was in pretty good condition, no chunks or burnt grease). Should I be okay or should I take it back apart and clean the bearings and use new grease??

Not good. Old grease will have minute metal particles. Plus the grease will be worn from heat. Clean all imediatly and get new grease.

Clean the old grease from the bearings. Inspect them for chips, flaking and burnishing from heat. If they are replace them. If the new rotors didnt have new races. replace them also. If new bearings are needed.

I agree with Eddie,

Since you just change the grease, you probably have not driven the vehicle enough to cause any damage, but you need to clean and inspect them and if they are good repack them WITH FRESH GREASE...:grin:

There is an old saying that goes: "Why is there never time to do things right, but there's always time to do things over?" :grin:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh absolutely. Great saying. Im going to have to invent some time on Sunday now to do this! I was pissed when I was all alone at my storage building and no grease where there should have been some. Im just wondering if I should spend the extra $40 for 4 new bearings since its all fresh in there. The bearings looked to be in great shape when I changed the rotors last weekend?

Whats everyone's product of choice for cleaning out the bearings of the old grease?

CRC Brake Parts cleaner (tall spray can - Red, White and Black colors - AutoZone carries it for sure).

It contains Tetrachloroethylene which is the ultimate degreaser. Blow out thoroughly with air hose and dry with heat gun gently for a little bit. Let cool on paper towels and pack away.

I agree with toptobottom. I use coptious amounts of CRC brake cleaner on almost any degreasing, and parts cleaning job.

...Rich

I have large amounts of the ol autozone stuff. Has anyone just replaced them to be safe. $40 is a small investment in case there is problems I cant see? Benefits vs time??

The AZ de-greaser will do just fine. Just do a good wash.

I admit what I still do is. soak them in a small pan of gas. Cuts the grease faster.

Then I wash them with a degreaser cleaner. That washes all deposits.

The gas allows me to use less degreaser.

Im also cheap. I have a 99cent store that sells johnson 12oz brake degreaser...LOL

Same as I find at some major stores. For less than half price.

I would inpect the bearings and races. before buying at set. Good bearings that are properly lubed. Can last 100K. Be sure to smear new grease on the spindle and inside the hub. It will diplace moisture from heat and cool downs. Use new rear grease seals.

May not be the correct specs for ford, but. Rule of thumb I use for tightening. Rotate the rotor and torque to 25ftlb. Back the crown nut off 1/2 turn. Rotate rotor Re-torque to 10 to 12inlb. Set the cotter key. You can back the nut off one slot to match cotter key keeper, if needed.

Took it all back apart yesterday. Since I have new rotors there was really no need for the new bearings/races and esp since after cleaning them they look brand new (with 140K miles on them no less) so I just repacked them with the high-temp grease, greased it all up and Eddie, I did exactly the torque and release on the nut. Everything is buttoned up and hopefully I wont have to think about it for another 140K miles.

Thanks everyone, you make this forum a lifesaver.