Front license plate installation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise Hayes 2

Reaction score
I want to put a front license plate on the front bumper, but the holes on the frame I have do not match up with the existing holes. Is it safe to drill new holes? Also, you can't get a nut on the back of a bolt for it is not exposed or even reach it for the plastic under the grill. Do I need to use self tapping screws? I have an 07 V-8

I "think" my '07 just used self-tapping screws into the facia, but I am not certain. Maybe a trip to the dealer would be worth it.

On a related note, the Missouri legislature is considering changing the rule to get rid of the front plate for cost-savings. I sure hope they do it- the front plate is fugly and I'll bet it hurts aerodynamics just a tiny bit too.

I bought a plain black frame. Used the type of screws that the factory uses to screw into the plastic bumper. I like the look better than the plate mounting bracket. Flush with the bumper.

You should be able to get the screws at any auto parts.Usualy in the area of liscene plate supplies They will have a 5/16" head. Just drill a small hole to get the point started. I like these better than self tappers. They tighten better. Sometimes the self tapping ones make the hole to big, from the drill point.

i hate the look of front license plates :angry:

thank you florida for not requiring them :banana:

[Broken External Image]:

sorry, NY i forgot to put it on this one :grin:

[Broken External Image]:

I recall the 07 sportrac has a license plate bracket that is riveted through the plate bracket to the lower bumper. You will not be able to put a backing washer or get you hand in there without pulling the bumper/grill off first.

Latest posts